Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hayfield (via The New Mills Millennium Walkway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hayfield (via The New Mills Millennium Walkway)

Did a 11.5 miler from High Lane to Hayfield on a cool day. To our surprise the freeze hadn't been sufficient to clot the mud, but some shaded lanes did have ice. Stayed okay all day it was only when we come out of the coffee shop at the end ... it had started snowing.

1. Started the walk on the Macclesfield Canal

f/4 1/320 ISO-200

2. St Thomas Church (Mellor) [with its head stone to one Thomas Brierley (a mason) with it's cryptographic message on it. I hadn't time to attempt to decrypt the 'Pigpen' cipher.]

f/5.6 1/640 ISO-200

3. The Millennium Walkway (New Mills) ... the railway is above this (the Goyt below)

f/4 1/50 ISO-200

4. Another view (you can at the top just see a little of the railway tunnel portal)

f/4 1/50 ISO-200

5. A Good Paddle Spoilt?

f/5.6 1/125 ISO-200

6. The Route

40D plus 24-105L again

Feel free to report any technical or narrative blunders.

Thanks for stopping by.

Re: Hayfield (via The New Mills Millennium Walkway)

That looks like a nice walk, the fisherman has a surprised/startled look on his face. Maybe wondering if you were the bailiff in disguise

Thanks for giving me my Monday morning exercise

PS. Can you elucidate on the masons headstone inscription, or did you take a photo of it
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

A nice set as usual MX

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
        PS. Can you elucidate on the masons headstone inscription, or did you take a photo of it
        There's a Wiki about it ... Thomas Brierley. I only took a photo of the 'masonic' symbol near the top.

Comment

Hi MX,

Used to live in High Lane (and later, Marple Bridge) when I was a kid - looks like I ought to visit my youth and have a look around where I grew up for many years. Grand day for walking

TTFN,
          Neil
          Neilly's Flickr Page
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
          Facebook
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

A good set MX5. Can't choose a favourite but I will perhaps place the church & fisherman equally "first"! Looks like you used the 24-105mm lens? I know Marple,Marple bridge,& High lane areas quite well. Nearly bought a house in High Lane but due to my work patterns- had to get in and out of the Marple area quite quickly, I settled in Winsford,Cheshire before moving to N.Wales now.

Inspired by these pics am hoping to go to Capel Curig tomorrow with Mickledore- if the weather as promised/forecasted is sunny & bright.
            Last edited by Nathaniel; 14-01-2013, 10:48.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Now why would anyone want to stand in the middle of a freezing cold river?

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

All good MX, but particularly like 1 and 2.

Regards Paul

Comment

MX5

Tom

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Neil ... The Millennium Walkway is really worth a visit. Something seriously wide on FF would be ideal to capture the entire structure. That scores high on Wow. You can (we didn't) get on top of the hill and look down on to it. But there much in that gorge of industrial interest.

Mellor Church was a surprise with the headstone with cryptography on it. Touch of the Dan Browns about it.

Comment

Like these, particularly no.1. Nice mix of nature and human habitation.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                        Now why would anyone want to stand in the middle of a freezing cold river?

Wild brown trout. Although technically at this time of year, he is probably fly fishing for Grayling and any catch of Browny's would be purely accidental.
                        Colin

Comment

Working...
                        X