X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rabbie Burns Statue Dumfries

Just a quick snap of "RABBIE BURNS" statue in Dumfries
    Sorry its not taken with my EOS but used Canon G12

I thought the local cooncil would have gave him a power wash for this weekends celebrations

The Legend of Burns Nicht
    The most powerful law in the scientific world is the law of unintended consequences! In 1801, on the fifth anniversary of the death of Robert Burns, nine men who knew him met for dinner in Burns Cottage in Alloway to celebrate his life and works. The Master of Ceremonies was a local minister – a liberal theologian and an equally liberal host. Hamilton Paul and his guests shared Masonic brotherhood with Rabbie and Paul devised an evening which looked a bit like a lodge ceremonial, centred on a fine fat haggis; with recitation and singing of Burns’s works and a toast (in verse) to the memory of their friend and hero.

It was such a jolly evening, all agreed to meet again the following January for a Birthday Dinner for the bard, little knowing that they had invented a global phenomenon that we know as the BURNS SUPPER – which still broadly follows the Reverend’s original plan

Alan
    Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Re: Rabbie Burns Statue Dumfries

Nice image and thanks Alan for the background information.

Tom

Comment

Enjoy the sheep's lungs and other (sheep offally) bits ... and the Tatties and Neeps. I really enjoyed mine a few years ago in Edinburgh.

Pity you can't get real Haggis in The States Tom!

Comment

They have the Celtic Fest here in Bethlehem during the last week in September. And they make Haggis and serve it during the festival. I really can't say that it is one of my top 1,000 dishes, but I have tried it.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom and MX5,just prepared the tatties and neeps for tonight.
          Unfortunately not everyone in the houshold likes Haggis as its an aquired taste but i think it is one of the best Scottish dishes.
          I've never tried deep fried mars bars

Alan
          Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Nice one Alan. You've got the perfect background from Greyfriars Kirk too, well done

As written:

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
            Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
            Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
            Painch, tripe, or thairm:
            Weel are ye worthy o' a grace
            As lang's my arm.

English:

Fair and full is your honest, jolly face,
            Great chieftain of the sausage race!
            Above them all you take your place,
            Stomach, tripe, or intestines:
            Well are you worthy of a grace
            As long as my arm
            Bob Turner
            Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Really nice Alan, you've caught it well.

Chris
              EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

Working...
              X