Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Llandudno promenade

Prom_Pan_800 by Stephen Thompson, on Flickr

Llandudno promenade in late November 2015, taken from the pier.

Apart from the almost surreal effect, for me the most interesting thing about this shot is that I used a 40-year-old Pentacon 50mm lens (M42 thread with an EOS adapter).

Handheld, and shot in Programme mode, I was amazed by the sharpness of this shot.

As I remember the blue cast is about right for the conditions and time of year.

I've had this one printed on metallic paper too, very effective.

70D, 200 ISO, 250th sec, but not sure about the aperture because of the lens used.

Re: Llandudno promenade

Young man!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Tom

Comment

I like the photo and well done for using such an old lens

Problem is I would like the see more and when I click on the flickr link the image is still small so I can't zoom in
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Stephen

Comment

I like the composition Stephen. I've not looked at it on Flickr but there seems ( when viewing in the gallery) to be a slight halo on the ridge line on the right side of the image.
            I've noticed this on some of my own images when hosted on Flickr. Having searched the Internet it appears that the way Flicker downsizing algorithms work they can cause this type of halo.
            Can I ask did you upload a larger version to Flicker and then chose a smaller size to post in this thread?

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Hi everyone

Many thanks for your comments and encouragement.

I originally loaded up just an 800px image to Flickr, but here's the full monty …

Prom_Pan_1636 by Stephen Thompson, on Flickr

I'm still struggling to find the sharpness "sweet spot" when utilising Flickr. I wonder if the halo is a consequence of over-sharpening a small file?

Comment

thats better, for some reason the smaller version just wasn't working, but bigger its much better

its pretty clear the light wasn't doing any favors for you, but I do like the shot, well done
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I always upload to Flickr and download at 1024 pixels longest edge .never had a problem ,good pic time to dig out my old 40mm Helios I think

Comment

Ah! From your Avator I note that you are not a young man any more!!!! Very nice two avatars.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nathaniel, yes the passing years have brought about many changes, including a receding hairline and an expanding waistline!

Steve.

Comment

Working...
                      X