Merrivale & around the Upper Walkham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merrivale & around the Upper Walkham

Three shots today from a 10k walk on Dartmoor. They're all quite different so have put them here rather in 3 different sections. The last one is a play with ICM.

Merrivale Quarry

Keep Closed

Two Sheep Grazing
    TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Re: Merrivale & around the Upper Walkham

Interesting set Wayne.

The first shows just how wonderful Dartmoor can be when the sun shines and is a nicely composed and exposed image of the quarry
    The second is a nice piece of mono with a good subject that has an interesting sky and lots of texture on the ground
    The third is, uh, um, well, ... ok, abstract is good but this isn't mad enough for me and is reminiscent of the hundreds of photos my parents took through the windows of moving coaches, sorry

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Interesting set Wayne. 1st one is nice landscape image, the 2nd is nice BW image and the 3rd is a marmite image.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
        Interesting set Wayne.

is reminiscent of the hundreds of photos my parents took through the windows of moving coaches

Cheers,
        John
        Love it! :big grin:

But ICM is on trend John - quick, scan those old images!

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment anyway.

Tom does this mean we can get Marmite in the states easily now?

When I posted them I was kind of expecting opinion to be along the lines of John's. Personally I actually quite like the last one. I think the light and colour of the moor is there and I quite like the layers. I wasn't sure about the long sheep. I only tried it with 3 or 4 shots. We were primarily on a 10km dog walk, not a photography day out.

For info the quarry at Merivale was the last working granite quarry on Dartmoor and closed in 1997. The Keep Closed barrier is at the start of a track opposite the car park at Four Winds (the site of the old Foggintor Quarry school. It leads to Little Mis Tor and then onto Great Mis Tor where there is a range hut as this is the southerly end of the Merrivale range. (Gt Mis id the big tor on the left skyline, Little Mis is the very small block to the right of it and Four Winds is the clump of trees at the top of the road meandering out of shot.)
        Last edited by Wayne Els; 17-08-2016, 09:19.
        TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

nice set Wayne, I do like that 2nd shot, very nice and works well in B&W - sorry 3rd not for me, its your turn to have the Marmite jar, although I'm guessing it won't be long before it gets passed to me
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
          X