Down the steps and up the path...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down the steps and up the path...

Taken in Oldway Mansion Gardens, Paignton.

IMG_0649-Edit-3 by John Leah, on Flickr

It was shot at 24mm with a 24-105 lens and, as if to reinforce my opinion that this lens, despite its obvious quality, is too long at the wide end to be an effective 'walkabout' lens on a crop unless the desired scene can be stitched - as was this which comprises of two images Stitching is not just for panos

Cheers,
    John

Re: Down the steps and up the path...

Nice lead-in John.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks Bill

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Well done, both on the photos and on the stitching John

Tom

Comment

Good capture and processing John.
          Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Thanks Tom and Derek

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Nicely done....wouldn't know it was stitched.
              I guess the 17-40 would be better on a crop to give approx 28-70mm.....but then 70 is a lot shorter than the approx 170mm you are getting from the 24-105
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian

I was looking to buy a 17-40 as my first 'L' lens as it would be wide enough on the 7D and something I could still use when I eventually go FF (my walkabout 15-85 is EF-S, of course). I was getting a 17-40 from Mifsud who then seemingly couldn't find the one they thought they had so, from elsewhere, I bought the 24-105 instead. Nice lens that oozes quality and the walk around Oldway Gardens was my first outing with it. Far more useful at the long end but not great when wide. I did know that would be the case so no complaints.

My recent trip to Glastonbury really brought home the deficiencies as I was having to carry both the 24-105 and my 11-16 swapping constantly which my non-photographer wife found a trial and wasn't shy in letting her irritation known. So when we went to Cornwall I mainly used the 15-85.

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Interesting stuff, John. Is there anything to bear in mind when (potentially!) purchasing a 15-85? I also considered the 24-105 (mainly because it's 'L' so it's got to be good, right?) but I think I've been persuaded by various online sources that the 15-85 is probably a better bet as I've no plans to go FF.
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Hi Chris,

The 15-85 is very good indeed and I've heard it said it's the best Canon EF-S having optics to the 'L' standard so your sources are correct in that it is the best lens for a crop body which is emphasised by it being the supplied 'kit' lens for the 7D.

I only looked at 'L' lenses because I'm going FF and getting them in advance of the body would make the pain of buying a FF body easier. Had I bought the body first I wouldn't have a suitable 'walkabout' lens.

So don't hesitate and get that 15-85

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post

So don't hesitate and get that 15-85
                      I didn't hesitate for too long. I was left home alone with a smartphone and the eBay app and the next thing I know...
                      Chris
                      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Good for you, I know you won't regret it

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

The 15-85 is a great lens. But I couldn't believe it when I went FF with the 24-105. It was like my eyes were open for the first time. And then I was taken hook line and sinker with L series glass. I made a mistake with the 70-300DO, but that and the 50 1.4 were my only deviations from L!
                          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

It's just been delivered to work so I'm now looking forward to making some time to get out and use it.
                            Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X