Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whitford Lighthouse last cast iron lighthouse standing in uk ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whitford Lighthouse last cast iron lighthouse standing in uk ?

whitford and richards boat 002.jpgwhitford and richards boat 009.jpg

Whitford lighthouse Burry Inlet Carmarthenshire.
    Totally tidal believed to be the last standing cast iron lighthouse in uk. Taken from moving boat so not the best.
    visitors can walk out to this from the whitford burrows on the gower peninsula, BUT watch tides.

Re: whitford Lighthouse last cast iron lighthouse standing in uk ?

Nice old structure. Worth the effort to go out during low tide for more images

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
      Nice old structure. Worth the effort to go out during low tide for more images

Tom
      I have spent a lot of time there at work Tom, so never took my gear with me, too much mud and sand to keep things clean, also the real chance of theft from vehicle. Area surrounded with mussel beds. I have an excellent B&W pic but had the original negative "stolen" when the original was loaned to a "friend" Will have to get the print scanned and see how it turns out. Thanks for looking.

Comment

Know this place you have caught it well.

Comment

Interesting structure, at least the cormorants still have a use for it.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Big old lump of steel there.

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
              Interesting structure, at least the cormorants still have a use for it.
              Aye but stay upwind!

Thanks for looking all.

Comment

I didn't know of this light so have just been reading up on it. It's fascinating and I do like a good bit of cast iron

The first image is the best for composition and lighting so a shame the finial is ever so slightly cropped but I think simply extending the canvas and filling in with sky would be sufficient to lift the image a lot... and giving it a slight anti-clockwise twist

The second is a very nice photograph even though it lacks the cormorants the greater flow from the receding tide does add a lot of drama to the shot

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                  I didn't know of this light so have just been reading up on it. It's fascinating and I do like a good bit of cast iron

The first image is the best for composition and lighting so a shame the finial is ever so slightly cropped but I think simply extending the canvas and filling in with sky would be sufficient to lift the image a lot... and giving it a slight anti-clockwise twist

The second is a very nice photograph even though it lacks the cormorants the greater flow from the receding tide does add a lot of drama to the shot

Cheers,
                  John
                  thanks John, have attached two more, again taken from a very fast drifting small boat, so dif to get all correct. Have sent you a PM.
                  whitford and richards boat 017.jpg
                  Attached Files

Comment

Interesting lighthouse, the first is the better one as it shows some of the environment although you have lost the tip off the frame.
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

Can see the Cormorants at the top- first picture. Yes, a very interesting lighthouse.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I like the first the most for having some background interest and the birds. Shame you lost the top. You could get an excellent set of images from this if you got up close to bits of it.
                        TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I hope you don't mind Haydn but I liked the first so much I felt it deserved to be rescued so added space at the top and reinstated the snipped finial:

whitford and richards boat 002-Edit.jpg

Working from a direct upload jpeg it was never going to be pretty but I do think it shows what could be.

Cheers,
                          John

Comment

Working...
                          X