Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finch Foundry

Near Okehampton in the West Country.
    Apparently the last water-powered metal-working forge. Now National Trust, with the machinery operated by well-informed volunteers.
    Loved the colours of rust and metal. Shots are hand-held at ludicriously low shutter speeds (a credit to the IS on the 24-105L) in the very dim available light.
    The main drive wheel inside the forge, driven by the overshot water wheel outside -

- and in motion -

Some of the clutter -

Using the grindstone - done by laying face down on a plank over the top of the revolving grindstone. Hence, presumably, the phrase "nose to the grindstone" -

All 50D + 24-105L.

Well worth a visit.

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Finch Foundry

As you know you happen to live in the Country that started the Industrial Revolution & it looks to me like you may have found the exact location where it all got it's start --- Really nice shots !!!!

Comment

Great set of images.

Coda
      There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Looks like a really interesting place to visit. Your photos are great. I too love the colour of the rusty wheels against the wood.

Comment

Nice series Chris. Really like the motion of #2, makes it feel like it's spinning at wrap speed
          Last edited by Glenn; 29-09-2010, 11:36.

Comment

Great shots in difficult conditions. No wonder the 24 - 105L is so highly regarded.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Great series Chis.
              That 24-105 produces some cracking shots.

David
              David

Comment

A great series, giving me ever more reason to save for the 24-105 L lens

Comment

I feel the sale of two EFS 17-85 IS USM lens about to take place, Muscat's and mine, to enable the purchase of two 24-105's......
                  David

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments about the shots.
                    As I said, they were all hand-held in very dull light, camera set at ISO 800 with +1/3 stop overexposure to help lighten things just a little, shutter speeds 1/13th sec for the still wheel, 1/6th for the moving wheel, 1/15th for the grinding and 1/30th for the hooks. Getting a decent image at 1/6th does say a lot for the 24-105L's IS!
                    Of all my lenses it's the favourite and the one that lives on the camera (50D). There was a thread somewhere else on the forum about this lens that I didn't post to. I remember someone commenting on the weight, but I think it's a bit to do with balance - if I use the 24-105 on either my 20D or 50D it feels a balanced combination, with a fairly heavy body and fairly heavy lens. However, if I put the 24-105 on my old 300D the lens seems too heavy for the camera, and if I put the "kit" 18-55 EFS that came with the 300D on the 50D it seems too light for the camera....
                    So, yes, it is a fairly heavy combination but well worth it - although life became a lot easier when I changed the Canon neck strap (did someone call it a "cheesegrater") for a softer neoprene Optitech....
                    Cheers, Chris.
                    Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Excellent series, no 3 I find especially appealling although I can't identify why. The in motion one is curious since the octagonal wheel has retained its shape which is surprising.

Originally posted by Ken Stern View Post
                      As you know you happen to live in the Country that started the Industrial Revolution
                      Not quite. Solihull would have been Warwickshire then, and the industrial revolution started in Shropshire. They had the sense to let it move to the Midlands when it was obvious it was going to result in some horrible buildings, though.
                      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
                      X