• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birmingham Symphony Hall

Quite an amazing building.
    Modern on the outside - night shot -

- and attractive and very fit for purpose on the inside -

It was built as an outer "shell" with the inner hall resting on rubber pads to prevent noise and vibrations from the main Birmingham to the north railway line that tunnels directly underneath. Each seat absorbs/reflects the same amount of sound whether occupied or not, the walls can have a "hard", reflective surface to give the reverberation desired by classical musicians or "soft", absorptive covering for rock groups who like to control their own sound effects. The "doors" visible high up in the hall open if needed to hard echo chambers much loved by classical singers, a screen can descend for movies, the stage can increase/decrease in area (set up in this shot for the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra), and the organ sounds incredible.
    Houses everything from rock, blues, pop, classics, ballet, brass bands, talks, movies etc.

Both shots available light, hand-held, 50D + 24-105L.

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Birmingham Symphony Hall

I have been to concerts there and the accoustics is top class. The Bridgewater Hall in Manchester too is purpose built and I am very happy with both these concert halls. Excellent shots- very clear and detailed for night time pics.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi Chris;

Very informative; and excellent shots for hand-held! Equally intriguing is the horizontal organ pipes! Never seen that before!

Cheers...
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

CF! Do your mean vertical organ pipes? I have been there and seen the organ being played and I thought the pipes were vertical OR is my Senior eyes playing tricks? Super shots anyway.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Hi Nathaniel;

Look closely at the pipes... most are indeed vertical, but there are some unique horizontal pipes too at right-angles to the main set !!!
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Yes, CF, there are pipes coming horizontally from the front of the organ, projecting out like a series of trumpets.
            As well as accompanying other music the organ is used for concerts in its own right - to prevent the organist being a bit distant from the audience there is a duplicate console that can be positioned at the front of the stage so you can see what he/she is doing.
            There's an even more magnificent organ close by in Birmingham Town Hall - this time Victorian (from the days when there was confidence shown through municipal buildings). Every pipe is ornately decorated. Will try and post something if I am around with camera when viewing is possible.
            Cheers, Chris.
            Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Ooooo - this is just begging for a smutty response; but I'll refrain in the interests of our more sensitive readers

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
                Hi Nathaniel;

Look closely at the pipes... most are indeed vertical, but there are some unique horizontal pipes too at right-angles to the main set !!!
                Apologies! Yes, I can see the horizontal pipes like trumpets. I too have not seen these sort of pipes before.

Comment

I seem to recall that's what they are - trumpet stops.

Lovely images of an impressive place. Saw Bryn Terfell there last year, clearly audible over the orchestra from the back without amplification.

Only thing for me is they seem to be leaning a tad to the right, although in the first one the telephone box appears vertical and in the second the organ pipes are similarly upright. I presume this is an effect of wide angle? It's not a problem, I hasten to add, just curious.
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Leaning?
                    Explanation - I had just come from the German Xmas Market and was liberally dosed with mulled wine.....

Cheers, Chris.
                    Just chuggin' along.

Comment

LOL. You need a camera with a spirit level so you can stand up straight!

Just curious because some elements seem straight and some don't, and I can't work out why. Mind you, that's true of most of Birmingham...
                      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
                      X