Pin Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pin Mill

This boat graveyard is at a place called Pin Mil on the River Orwell in Suffolk, England. This location (along with the Lake District and the Norfolk Broads) was made famous by the author Arthur Ransome and his series of books 'Swallows and Amazons'.
    It is fairly local to me and I popped over with an old friend to have lunch at the Butt and Oyster pub (also featured in the books) We had a lovely lunch but unfortunately our visiting time was at low water so I couldn't do the scene justice.
    I will be planning on another trip soon when the tide is in and the light is right...

Pin Mill by Jeff Cranwell, on Flickr
    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Works for me. The low tide is revealing all the dereliction and decay that would be hiiden by the water otherwise - and you know how we photographers love dereliction and decay...

Reckon the light was pretty good too - intense enough to reveal detail without blasting everything with extreme contrast.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I really like the light on the hulls and then the darkness of the sky. Great shot Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
        Works for me. The low tide is revealing all the dereliction and decay that would be hiiden by the water otherwise - and you know how we photographers love dereliction and decay...

Reckon the light was pretty good too - intense enough to reveal detail without blasting everything with extreme contrast.

Thanks Nigel,

The light wasn't great, very bright early afternoon sunshine. A bit of heavy handed P/P was required.

I didn't go out to take photos otherwise I would have packed the ND filters with me.

Being a boater myself I do want a little bit of water in the scene for me......I will be back when the tide and early morning or last of the day light are in my favour.

By the way, a really good app for checking tide times, moon phases, Neaps and Springs, wind speed/direction etc is 'Willy Weather' silly name, great app.......and free
        Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
          I really like the light on the hulls and then the darkness of the sky. Great shot Jeff.
          Thanks,

I hate to tell you this.......The sky has been heavily edited
          Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Lovely shot Jeff, but how sad when you think those were someone’s pride and joy at one time
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
              Lovely shot Jeff, but how sad when you think those were someone’s pride and joy at one time
              Thanks Trev,

I know what you mean.
              I would hate to think of our boat 'Lady Emma' suffering a similar fate
              Regards,

Jeff

Comment

A bit more information on the location...

Enjoy a peaceful walk through woodland and heathland and discover spectacular views of the River Orwell on this tranquil walk at Pin Mill, near Ipswich.
                Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Coolcat View Post

Thanks,

I hate to tell you this.......The sky has been heavily edited

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post

Don't fret too much though, it is the actual sky and not a replacement. Just used a linear gradient on the top and adjusted the exposure and highlights etc
                    Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Excellent photo showing some great detail, well done.
                      Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Colin W View Post
                        Excellent photo showing some great detail, well done.
                        Cheers Colin
                        Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                        X