Waterfalls and Riverside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterfalls and Riverside

A couple of easy to reach locations close to the A835 near Garve, Scotland.

Little Garve Bridge, built around 1762 as part of the military road network following the Jacobite rebellion. There's a riverside walk here providing more photo ops.

Little Garve Bridge-5110 by M Plowman, on Flickr

Rogie Falls are a popular walk so people in your shot may be a bit of a problem and the bridge over the falls is wobbly, but on a wet day it's much quieter and the falls are better after a week of rain.

Rogie Falls-5179 by M Plowman, on Flickr

Rogie Falls-5185 by M Plowman, on Flickr

Rogie Falls-5192 by M Plowman, on Flickr
    Last edited by Skyelines; 04-04-2023, 14:17.

Nice set
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Great set, that looks like a beautiful walk. Must be great.
      Rose

Comment

Great set.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Very nice set of photos.
          Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Great set, nice location
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

An excellent set of pics

Ian
              Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Nice set, I've made a note to myself stop and have a look next time I pass that way.
                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

A super set well composed...I never know how much blur to have in waterfall shots, its a good idea to have a variation as here.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

That's a fine set and some great scenery.

Hard to pick a favourite but I'd have to go with no. 2 - I love the angles and how they make the whole shot even more dynamic.
                    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts.

On the shutter speed question in this instance I tryed to get it slow enough to show movement but quick enough to maintain the shape of the water. Too slow and the water looks flat, too fast and the water is static.

However there are times to go to one or other extreme depending on which elements of the scene one wants to emphasise.

Comment

A lovely series of photos. What a fantastic location, beautifully captured
                        Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Really nice! I think you've nailed the composition and exposure to get these just right.
                          What was your shutter speed please (Flickr doesn't show it)?

Cheers,
                          John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                            Really nice! I think you've nailed the composition and exposure to get these just right.
                            What was your shutter speed please (Flickr doesn't show it)?

Cheers,
                            John
                            Thanks.

I wanted to keep the ISO at 100 and all shot hand held with IS turned on so ended up with the following speeds and apertures:

Garve Bridge 1/80 at f11

Rogie falls top 1/13 at f13, middle 1/13 at f16, bottom 1/80 at f10

I find that with white water contrast is always a problem.

Shot RAW so in Lightroom I had to lift exposure and the shadows then adjust the blacks and whites and highlights to balance, add some clarity and bring back a bit of contrast and sharpen.

If I had spent bit more time thinking about settings I might have been able to reduce the processing. I aslo wondered if a polariser might have given a bit more defintion to the water.

Comment

Good, useful info, thanks

Cheers,
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X