Couple of Bridges at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of Bridges at night

I went out last night to capture these two bridges. I preferred not to correct too much for colour balance from the deep red/brown of the originals as I thought they looked better just lightened plus increased contrast.

I waited and waited for Vauxhall Bridge to be lit up, but at nearly 11pm I gave up.

The distance shots of Chelsea Bridge I took got binned, here's what I kept.

Last edited by lesbutler; 28-07-2011, 03:45. Reason: corrected image link

Re: Couple of Bridges at night

Splendid stuff. For some reasons it's the rivets that interest me.

Comment

I like them all, but #1 seems so sharp and the lights are 'starlike'. Very nice.
      “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
      http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

A great set of images

Peter
        There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

For some reasons it's the rivets that interest me.
          Me too, likng those last two were the rivets feature.

I've been toying with the idea of a days snapping in London myself :-)

Trev

Comment

Excellent images - shows what can be done with a 500d and a 18-55IS lens!!

As Colin C says it is a photographer that gets the picture not the kit being used
            ef-r

Comment

Thanks all for the comments!

Yeah, MX5 and Trevor, there's something about those rivets I like too. Bring some ID Trev, police are well hot on anything "unusual" - like taking photos at night near the river. If they see you they'll def give you a grilling.

The 18-55 IS is a fantastic lens. I got my first with a 1000D, but sold it with that body to put towards a mint 40D earlier this year, and bought a Sigma 10-20mm also. I missed the 18-55 IS so much I sold the Sigma and bought another 18-55 IS.

Thanks again, Les.

Comment

Bring some ID Trev, police are well hot on anything "unusual" - like taking photos at night near the river. If they see you they'll def give you a grilling.
                Thanks for the heads up Les :-))
                I assume you were kitted up with a tripod etc for those long exposures - your deffo a terrorist if you carry a tripod.(or so it would seem) LOL

Trev

Comment

Trev - there are limits to what the Police can do ... commonsense applies ... the MPS publish this MPS Guide for Photographers.

Be courteous and no jokes!!, the police have a hard job to do in these uncertain times.

Comment

Trev - Yeah, I just bought a Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod with 3D Ball Head off Amazon for a ridiculously low price and its excellent, if a little on the low side.

As MX5 says, just be polite and no jokes and don't get stroppy at any stupid questions. Its not so much the regular police, rather the PCSO's. City of London Police are the worst (in my opinion), some are pretty arrogant. I have even had the river police stop and shout out asking what I'm up to. They are just following orders, if they stop you you have to answer lots of 'official' questions so they can complete a form, a copy of which they give you. You can download a 'photographers rights' pdf from http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/u...ers-rights-v2/

I won't even mention private security guards in many buildings or the security around 'More London' where City Hall and Tower Bridge is. They can be really stroppy, but just politely tell them to push off! They have no authority to tell you to stop what your doing if your in a public area - or to stop photographing 'their' building.

Comment

Do like number one... the street lamps really take on the look of stars, but if I had to pick a favourite... I'm another sucker for those rivets.

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

All good, but #4 does it for me. I'm hoping that was a bus - if it was a train it's a little lost!
                        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Be courteous and no jokes!!, the police have a hard job to do in these uncertain times.
                          Thanks guys, Im naturally corteous anyway, and would never come out with any wise cracks to the Police.

I have a lovely Northern Ireland accent, not so much of a problem these days - and touch wood; it will be totally irrelevant in decades to come.

Trev

Comment

Hi, I agree, nice shots. The rivit shot is the best image and it works because you went in close and filled the frame. When the sky is pitch black at is best to move in close and fill the frame with forground interest to lead your eye into main subject. The other thing is colour, black sky pictures work better with impact by using colour, imagine the rivit shot without the light streaks then imagine it with more of them. The rivits would still be the main feature but the 'movement' would and does in your case add interest. Great pictures!

Comment

All stunners Les, but #3 gets my vote. The low viewpoint with the rivets leading into the shot is quite inspired.

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X