Orton (Eden Valley)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orton (Eden Valley)

Yesterday was Orton, near Tebay (M6) on a damp day. The 10.6 mile amble involved muddy fields (lots), slippy limestone and the bleak Crosby Ravensworth Fell where paths on the map didn't appear on the ground and paths on the ground didn't appear on the map. Actually a number of real features (Lime Kiln, cairns etc.) aren't on the map ... the map is devoid of any features … very strange. So GPS helped us. So not the place for the inexperienced or solo walker (especially in the wet).

Salvaged a few photos from the gloomy day

1. Bleaker than a bleak place

The place the map was wrong

2. All Saints Church (Orton)

The earliest parts date from the later part of the 12th century. The tower was built in the 16th century, and the porch is dated 1607. In 2006–07 the tower was rendered in lime, giving it a white appearance ... which looks scruffy now.

3. More bleakness

4. Dry Valley (One of Robin Hood's many graves is around here)

5. Days end and a visit to Kennedys Fine Chocolates for a brew and crumpets

As ever my 40D plus 17-40L. Some sharpening and in some cases a bit of levels but no cropping.

Please report any technical or narrative blunders.

Thanks for looking at what is a gloomy selection of images from a typical autumn day on the fells.

Re: Orton (Eden Valley)

Not a great day for photography. But hats off for braving the weather and getting the camera out.
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

MX5, It may have been a gloomy day but as usual great Monday morning shots.
      I really hope you will put your photos in a book as you will knock Wainwright of his perch with the walks you have done along with the accompanying photos.
      Wainwright only managed black and white sketches, you have captured great scenes.

David
      David

Comment

Deva32 - thanks

David - thanks ... the marketplace is full of books some good, some bad a lot indifferent. But there are folk with 5"x4" (or larger format) cameras out on the fells ... but they generally take the golden hour shots, the nice vista with fluffy clouds or the fresh snow views. I'm told gloomy wet scenes don't sell. Mind you we do get off the 'popular' tracks and into some interesting places the guide books don't normally describe (we do include some guide book paths as well).

Anyway I hope my ambling ramblings inspire some to get out into our wonderful countryside regardless of the weather. It's good for the mind and good for the body (we have many good walkers who are in their 70's).

Comment

good grief, looks incredibly bleak and empty.
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Di. Oh yes the fell was bleak and empty. Didn't see another walker the whole day, the only folk we passed were two farmers. Mind you it would be totally different on a warm sunny summers day.

On the surrounding farmland, the cows were unhappy ... they had just been relieved of their calves which puts them in a mood. Likewise the bulls had just been relieved of their !!!! ... and were getting use to life as steers.

Comment

Working...
            X