Canterbury Cathedral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canterbury Cathedral

Visited Kent last week(son at Kent Uni) and stayed in Canterbury for a few days.
    Had a stroll through the impressive Cathedral,Shots taken with EOS 1D MK III - EF 24-105mm.

Paul Linton
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: Canterbury Cathedral

Hi Paul

I have never visited Canterbury.
    Your interior shots of the Cathedral are stunning.

Comment

Some nice pictures of my local cathedral, one of these days I will actually go there and take some pictures myself, my favourite is #1.

Comment

Paul,

I like all your pics- very detailed and stunning. I have been to the cathedral and know the areas which your photos illustrate. Just one point. Pic 1 shows the usual converging verticals when photos are taken at the wider end. This is I suppose something that cannot be avoided unless you use the T&S lens. I find that this problem is accentuated far more when I use my Sigma 10-20 to take photos of buildings.

Thanks for sharing.
        Nathaniel
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

It will do Nathaniel - one of the downsides of a wide angle lens. It will be worse on your 10 - 20mm, purely because it is even wider.

Other than photoshop, or using a T&S lens as you have already suggested, you can minimise the effect by keeping the back of the camera as parallel to the subject as possible. The more your tilt the camera to get more in, the more the verticals will converge if you tilt up, or diverge if you tilt down.

Best advice is always to stand back as far as you can, try not to zoom too wide and tilt the lens as little as possible.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin for answer Nathaniel's question I think you put it a better way than i could have done

Hereford_EOS2 - Many thanks for your comments.

Muscat
            Some nice pictures of my local cathedral, one of these days I will actually go there and take some pictures myself,
            I know what you mean Muscat, here in Beverley we have a Minster and time after time i tell myself to go in and take some shots but never get the time and always think maybe next week or the week after then never get there at all.

Paul

PS- #1 I thought Kent sky's were supposed to be bland
            Last edited by paul linton; 25-10-2011, 13:14.
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
              PS- #1 I thought Kent sky's were supposed to be bland
              We always put white skies in our pictures to keep the other togs out :)
              ef-r

Comment

Stunning, the interior shots just get better and better.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Really nice images Paul, Fabulous interior shots, did you have to have permission for this only some historic places do not allow photography, I also assume they were available light & hand held, if so that makes them even better IMHO.

Ray

Comment

Excellent photographs that anyone would be proud off. Did you handheld or used a tripod for the interior shots?
                    Colin

Colin Wallace Photography

Canon 5D MKIII / 24-105L F4 USM IS / 70-300L F4 USM IS

Comment

Stunning, the interior shots just get better and better.
                      Many thanks Di

The EOS 1D MKIII can really pull out the detail, for 10 megapixels it uses every one to great effect.

Paul
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      did you have to have permission for this only some historic places do not allow photography,
                      Hi Ray

Canterbury Cathedral allows cameras to be used but not in all areas

Paul
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you handheld or used a tripod for the interior shots?
                      Hi Colin

All hand held but shot mid afternoon so light wasn't to bad for roof/ceilings i rested the camera on a chair with camera pointing upwards using the self timer.Bean bag or jumper comes in handy(to rest camera on) when trying this method.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X