Syrphus ribesii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syrphus ribesii

Or, a Drone Fly. It amazing the fun you can have in your own front garden! This is one of many taken today with my new 100mm Macro lens. Really pleased with it. Straight out of the camera other than a square crop on Aperture. WDYT, C&C welcome.

EOS 60D, 1/1600 @ f/2.8, ISO 200, 100mm Macro.

Syrphus ribesii by The Real Swoosh, on Flickr
    Last edited by secondintime; 01-04-2012, 19:15.
    Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Re: Syrphus ribesii

Great first attempt, loads of detail.

I would have been tempted pto drop the shutter speed down a bit and had more DOF. When I use my macro for these little fellows I try and use f8 to get a good DOF to have more of the insect in focus.

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
      Great first attempt, loads of detail.

I would have been tempted pto drop the shutter speed down a bit and had more DOF. When I use my macro for these little fellows I try and use f8 to get a good DOF to have more of the insect in focus.
      Thanks Muscat, heres another taken at the same time on settings as you suggested, and yes there is more of him in focus (which I prefer) . Trick for me now is to know what settings I need to be on beforehand rather than trial and error, and taking lots and lots of shots.

EOS 60D, 1/200 @ f/8, ISO 200, Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

Drone Fly (Syrphus ribesii) by The Real Swoosh, on Flickr
      Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

they are great subjects and very amenable to being approached so long as you don't cast a shadow on these three little sensors on their heads. There's an amazing variety available to photograph too, loads of fun. Very good images for your first go
          My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Both great but for me it has to be the first one - I love the shallow dof, it really shows up what a messy gatherer he is

.DAVID.
            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Working...
            X