Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring Flash guidance

Greetings one and all.

It being the anniversary of my birth (66 years ago) I have today been blessed with a Yongnuo YN14EX macro ringflash.

I would be grateful for any tips/tricks I should be aware of for getting the most out of it. I have to confess my experience with any sort of flash is fairly limited, so baby steps might be in order!

TIA.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Ring Flash guidance

Sorry that I cannot help as I do not have one of those, but Happy Birthday. Enjoy your new gift.

Tom

Comment

Happy Birthday John. (Sorry no help on flash).
      Neil

Comment

Hay birthday John - what sort of photography are you going to use it for ?
        James
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
          Hay birthday John - what sort of photography are you going to use it for ?
          James
          enjoy the new toy, tell us what your planning on using it for, flowers? insects ? I'm not that experienced but I'll try to help
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Tom, Neil, James & Ian - thanks for responding.

I am intending to use the flash for flower and insect macro work - I hope that the increase in available light will allow more stopping down of the lens and thereby increase DOF.
            John Liddle

Comment

A lot will depend on the output of the flash and how close your getting - one of the great advantages with RF is no longer having think when going in close and worrying about DoF - close it down to F22 and let the flash control the exposure and you can get the focus point just where you want.. I think using a RF with macro takes a lot of the worry about focus out
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Ring Flash guidance

Depending on how reflective the body of the insects you shoot using a ring flash you may need to diffuse the flash. I made a diffuser using thin semi opaque foam creating a polo mint shape with the hole being matched to the diameter of the lens. Attach the foam to the flash using masking tape or similar.
                With shiny bodies insects you can end up with catchlights on the insect body which is very difficult to remove in PP.
                Happy birthday John, I shall raise a glass in your honour, well it is Friday [emoji12]
                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Ian & Peter - thank you your advice - I can see that I shall have to do a lot of practicing and experimenting.

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                  I shall raise a glass ....
                  There might be a certain amount of glass-raising in the Liddle household tonight as well!
                  John Liddle

Comment

Enjoy you day John [emoji482]
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                    X