Alternative Macro Focus Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative Macro Focus Technique

My 100mm macro recently developed an autofocus fault... I can hear a graunching of gears as it tries to autofocus, and can feel resistance at one point when I manually focus.

An expensive repair or the bin coming up, I thought. I then read about a very simple manual focus technique (can't remember where... may even have been this site). Manually set the focus to roughly the distance you want, then move the camera in and out until the shot is in focus.

Tried it out early yesterday evening with some butterflies. How simple, and it works well. Wish I'd never bothered with autofocus at all now.

Edit: Not sure I have the hang of uploading images in a post yet... can anybody enlighten me?

Small Heath.jpg

Red Admiral_small.jpg
    Last edited by scarletti; 22-07-2010, 20:46.

Re: Alternative Macro Focus Technique

Hi scarletti I have sent you a pm on how I upload images to this site,,hope it helps,

Coda
    There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Working...
    X