which macro lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which macro lens?

Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro Lens & Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM (with/without IS option) which is better for shooting insects,spiders ect?

Would it be the Sigma as it offers a longer working distance be it minor I think?

60D Body.
    Last edited by chrise17; 06-03-2011, 14:44. Reason: update

Re: which macro lens?

Dont forget the Canon 180 macro as this moves you even further from the insect
    ef-r

Comment

I have neither, but a friend has the Canon 100mm F2.8 L macro lens, and he swears blind it's great! Minimum focus distance is closer with the Canon... 300mm vs 380mm for the Sigma.
      Another thing to consider is whether it focuses to infinity, I know the Canon does, and I'm pretty sure the Sigma does too.
      They also make fairly good portrait lenses as well, so not just insects and spiders!

I'm considering the Canon myself, so I'll follow this thread with interest!

Cheers, Mike
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Chrise i have the Canon 100mm ef macro. Great lens and also useful for protrait photography if you are into that. Tack sharp images. In relation to IS....i am sure alot of people on here will agree, when taking macro shots of insects up very close at 1:1 it does not really come into play and some would say a premium on the price, not really needed.

Comment

As far as I am aware both the Sigma and Canon lenses are good, I have the Canon and can not fault it other than you can be pretty close to the subject, the 150 and as Brian mentioned the Canon 180 will get you further away from the subject and allow you to more easily get light onto the subject and possibly frighten it less. A lot depends on how much you want to spend, the Canon lenses are very good but more expensive than the Sigma.

I don't know what lenses you have but you may want to consider getting some extension tubes and using the lenses you have as a start, this is a much cheaper option than a full blown macro lens unless you are certain that you want / need one. For larger insects such as dragonflies, butterflies etc. some folks have used 300mm telephoto lenses and have very good results with these.

Comment

Working...
          X