70-300L + 36mm Kenko extension tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70-300L + 36mm Kenko extension tube

Playing in the garden this afternoon with my 70-300L + Kenko extension tubes similar to what Stan did with his prime lens.

Both these shots were used hand held, A1 Sevo IS on and centre point focus, f8, ISO 400 lens @ 300mm the first image was taken with a shutter speed of 1/80 and the second 1/60.

The first images has simply been cropped to more of a square format and the second is full frame I was about 750mm away from the bee

Re: 70-300L + 36mm Kenko extension tube

The 70-300L has good close up to start with - adding the extension tubes makes a lot of sense - and good pictures

Must try them on the 135F2 ....
    ef-r

Comment

Hi Muscat

Nice shots! I must have a closer look at extension tubes, as I've seen quite a few on the forum now - many from you - and I'm impressed with the results! Question will they still work on a macro lens (I guess yes), and will they work with a 1.4 extender on as well?

Thanks, Mike.
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Hi Mike, yes the extension tubes do work with macro lenses and as Stan has shown they can work combined with a 1.4x but when coupled with the 1.4x the auto focus is slow and you loose a stop

Comment

Hi Muscat

Do like those.
          Will any extension tube fit onto the 70-300L?
          (I was under the impression that the recommended canon 1.4 wouldn't fit onto this lens, but could easily be wrong!!)

Thanks

DaveH

Comment

DaveH I think you may be muddling the 1.4x extender which has glass in it to what I used which are effectively hollow tubes with only the electrical connectivity being communicated between lens and camera. The extension tubes simply move the lens away from the camera body.

To answer the question pretty much any canon fit extension tube will work with this lens however if you do want the 1.4x extenders then the Canon unit will not work with the lens but I understand that the Kenko Pro 1.4x extender will work with the lens.

Comment

Hi Muscat

Thanks for clarifying.
              I easily get muddled!
              How are you finding the 70-300L?
              It's on my wish list.....

DaveH

Comment

Nice one Muscat, I've not got around to trying this yet, seems to work OK (which is good news) I must give it a go with mine
                My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Thanks for clarifying my Q's above, Muscat. So that's a set of extension tubes added to my 'must buy' list!
                  flickr
                  5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by DaveH View Post
                    Hi Muscat

How are you finding the 70-300L?
                    It's on my wish list.....
                    DaveH
                    I find it a great lens fast to focus and lovely quality both in build and IQ

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                      I find it a great lens fast to focus and lovely quality both in build and IQ
                      Thanks Muscat.
                      Haven't seen or heard a bad thing about this lens.
                      Now must start saving.........

Dave

Comment

I have a 70-300L on the 5d/5dII and have used it for pretty much everything from portraits to landscapes - exactly what you would expect from a walkabout lens.

IQ and contrast are very good
                        ef-r

Comment

Hi Muscat

It's worked pretty well, I had wondered how they would work on a non prime lens.
                          I did another experiment this morning using my 70-200 f2.8 which has a minimum focus distance of 1.4 metres and found with the 31 mm extrension tube I could focus at half that distance and still very quickly. I did find though that for it to work the lens must be zoomed out to 200mm, anything less and it would not focus - wonder if you found the same

Stan
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

I found that on the 70-300 it will focus from bout 150mm right through to the 300, on the 24-105 it will only really work at the 105 end

Comment

Working...
                            X