Ant Communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ant Communication

Muscat's good attempt at a shot of an Ant in Action made me look again at some shots I took a couple of days ago watching ants scurrying in and out of their nest in our front garden.

None of them will win any prizes but I thought this one was interesting as it shows a bit of behaviour going on. I noticed that as the ants entered and left the nest there always seemed to be one or two "On Duty" at the entrance and they appeared to be communicating with each other using their antenna, which is shown here.

I wondered if its a bit like bees have a "Chat" at the entrance to the hive?

(shot using the 100 LIS macro on front of my 7D using my sigma macro ring light, 1/500th sec with f8 and ISO 200 at about MFD)

My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Re: Ant Communication

Nice one I saw this sort of behaviour when I was photgraphing the ants building the nest a few weeks ago.

Comment

Re: Ant Communication

Wikipedia says that soldier ants often stand guard at the entrance of the nest... I wonder if this is their version of "frisking"
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
      X