30 minute challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 minute challenge

I set myself a simple 30 minute challenge in a break between the showers this afternoon. It was quite simple see what different macro shots I could get within a 30 minute period, this may sound easy but the wind was blowing with gusts over 20mph which makes hand held macro challenging.

All 4 pictures were taken in an area about 3m x 2m on the grass verge of the road near our house

Large skipper trying to dry off

One of 2 Damselfly's that kept buzzing me

One of many grasshoppers that were jumping around

Seed head, darned if I can remeber what they are called

C&C welcome

Re: 30 minute challenge

That's a very good idea, the Skipper wins for me
    My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Well done
      Like the seedhead with an excellent background, detail around the head of the grasshopper is excellent as is the skipper detail but let down just a little by the background. The damsel looks a bit soft or it may be it is fighting with the background for attention

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Nice pictures Ian. We have the same insects in my field - I am gradually going round taking photos of them. 3 types of skipper and a ringlet (look dark brown in flight), 3 types grasshopper, inumerable ladybirds at the moment plus a large selection of other insects - all within 100m of my back door.

Perhaps you would like to come round for coffee and bring your camera sometime - plus any others in the vicinity?
        ef-r

Comment

Ian, great shots, well worth a look, and that's also a great idea to give yourself mini-challenges!

I will start doing some macro, as my Kenko ext tubes arrived today... unfortunately, I have to wait till the 27th, as they are an anniversary present! Quickly tried them out to make sure they work though, and it's amazing how close you can get to a pound coin! Come August, you'll start seeing some results from me, so please keep up with your shots, as they're an inspiration.

All the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Brina, Brian, Mike, thanks for the comments, Stan, you are correct the Damsel is a little soft this is the best out of about 10 shots, the wind was just too much with poor light, at least that is my excuse.

Originally posted by mikep View Post
            it's amazing how close you can get to a pound coin!
            I agree Mike it is a shame it doesn't make it go any further

Comment

Like them all.. but if I have to pick a fave its the plant... which I think.. (not sure) could be a plantain.
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Di I thought that yesterday but when I googled it I didn't see it but now that i try again I find that it is a Narrow-Leaved Plantain (Plantago lanceolata), I think the reason I diodn't find it was when I checked the previous search history I hadn't spelt it correcty

Comment

Very ineresting project for powers of observation!! I think the skipper is my favourinte -feel it's watching me with its eye. I also think the plant is a plantain - I had some in a wildflower mixture I put in a flower bed ages ago and they have seeded like mad and threaten to take over one;corner of the garden!!

Comment

A very impressive set of pictures for 30 minutes work
                    Regards Eddie.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Di, Edd1e thanks for looking and the comments

Comment

these are some very nice photographs. i hope to purchase some extension tubes when i have some spare cash.
                        stuart

Comment

Originally posted by stubcfc View Post
                          these are some very nice photographs. i hope to purchase some extension tubes when i have some spare cash.
                          stuart
                          Stuart, thanks for the coments, I am sure that you will enjoy some tubes when you get them. When buying them do try and make sure that they are Full TTL coupling and AF if not then it makes life much more difficult

Comment

Working...
                          X