Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some abstract/macro photos

Hello Everybody

Have been going to adult college in the evenings for photography basic.The title of the course was to get out of auto mode.
    Now the teacher was a very nice young lady who was brought up using Nikon Cameras and when she saw the EOS 7D she said straight away this camera for you is the wrong type you should have gone for something more simple to use.
    But my reply was that is why i'm here for you top show me (anyway after 2 sessions and 24 weeks later i must have have the most dog eared manual there is for that camera) .As she was used to NIKONS herself and what the rest of the class had were Nikons i was the only one with a different camera But we managed.Got my first certfificate last month and have another one to come for the intermediate part of the lessons.This dealt mainly with the manual side of the camera for which my final 5 photos are posted below plus in my album you will se all my macro photos as this was my choosen subject as college .Athough
    i'm 65 years old i did enjoy the time whilst i was at college although the rest of the class were a lot younger then myself we had a dam good time pity it is now finnished as the young lady who taught us only does the 2 classes.To go on for more it would be the advance course and i think that is going to be too heavey for my brain at my time of life ( i should be chilling out ) and it is for 45 weeks far too much for me is that although the qualification you get would be a good one.That would be okay for someone a lot younger then myself So here are my photos PLEASE PLEASE leave a comment as they are very valuble source of information and i do not mind if you are critical about them it is the only way to learn
    Attached Files

Re: Some abstract/macro photos

Originally posted by mellbourne View Post
    .Athough i'm 65 years old i did enjoy the time whilst i was at college although the rest of the class were a lot younger then myself we had a dam good time pity it is now finnished as the young lady who taught us only does the 2 classes.To go on for more it would be the advance course and i think that is going to be too heavey for my brain at my time of life ( i should be chilling out ) and it is for 45 weeks far too much for me is that although the qualification you get would be a good one.That would be okay for someone a lot younger then myself
    I am retired and I just get out there and do it - so can you. I am currently doing a photographic course and a French course. The good thing about being retired is that:

- if you dont understand something you have time to research it
    - you have more time to practice it.

I like your pictures by the way
    ef-r

Comment

Hi Melbourne it's another OAP, Love your images you have really thought about your subject, I was thinking of a City & Guilds course but it was rather expensive and there was no concessions, I think otherwise I would have had a go, dont let your age be a barrier to anything, its only a number. What are the subjects in the photos I think #2 is a grater not sure about the rest

Ray.
      Last edited by raymon; 21-09-2011, 18:44.

Comment

Hi mellbourne
        Your excellent quirky photos are driving me mad! I, too, can only recognise a grater. Can you enlighten us, please?

Cheers

Ian
        EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Hi Melbourne, not quite retired yet, only a few more months and then I was looking to get on a couple of photo courses to help me improve, as the guys have said if you can aford it, want it go do it.

I like your photos, particularly #2 and #4. In #4 I really like the way the surface rolls around the curve and has the clarity and space to make a nice lead in and out of the image.

Comment

Mellbourne here

Yes it is the price that is daunting aswell although been a penshioner your money is limited somewhat and as one of the other that
            kindly replied to my photos you do not get any help Well not round our way anyway so £300 for a 24 week course is fairly expensive
            especiaaly as it is a hobby rather then doing it for work so you cannot recoupe any of that money back pity realy
            Right to put people out of there misery
            the all blue photo is a building near the adult college and it is an office block in the shape of a pryamid and i topok the picture leaning
            the camera on one of the sides pointing up to the sky.
            Then i used Photoshop elements 9 plus plugins called tiffen dfx v2 to get the blueyness.
            Picture 2 yes you have guessed it a rather used chrome cheese grater sitting on yellow paper witth a bright light shinning onto the paper
            so you can just see a bit of yellow then it was altered in photoshop and tiffen plugins
            picture 3 is a lasva lamp with the bluey bobble coming up from the bottom of the lamp this was also played around with in photoshop
            with the tiffen plugins
            picture 4 this is something your wife may have bought it is one of those smelly things that you lay around the house alterd again in photoshop
            picture 5 is a twenty pound note and it is the taken from the queens bottom lip to the point where her necklace appeares all the lines are within the
            twenty pound note paper a part of the security that it has this photo was also adjusted in photoshop with the dfxv2 plugin by tiffen

Comment

Hi Mel
              I like these...very abstract (arty far@y) even. I think that these show that you are REALLY looking and caring in what you do and thats good and have obviously listened and learnt from your tutor. By the way, wish I had a 7D. are you in Melbourne Oz, if so I could possibly introduce you to someone at the Frankston CC if your in that side of town. Well done and thanx for sharring.
              hhcanon

Comment

Dear hhcanon thankyou glad you like my photos if you go to the albums part at the top of the page and click that you will see
                some more macro photos i have done those are a lot different to the abstract ones.
                Getting back to the Mellbourne bit thast name was my grandfathers name and i was blessed with it as a middle name
                so i use it as my name for the different forums i use (sorry i know nobody in Australias at all New Zealand yes )

mellbourne
                Last edited by mellbourne; 22-09-2011, 20:10. Reason: forgot the name of t

Comment

Melbourne, thanks for the explanation of what the pictures were from I had been struggling to work out what the #5 image was from

Comment

Would never have guessed that number five was a twenty pound note.
                    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X