What I wanted the lens cap for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I wanted the lens cap for...

Thanks to all those who replied about my request for a lens cap. I sorted it out by using a very cheap set of extension tubes (£7 for the set - no contacts inbuilt!) I used the fitting and the thinnest tube to protect the contacts on my 24 - 105. Why? I had it reversed onto a 70 - 200 to do some extreme macro work. Here is a solitary granule of brown sugar.

This is a 27 (that's twenty seven) stack shot. The granule is only one millimetre or so in width, but at the magnifications I was using depth of field is less than one tenth of that. The major problem is refocussing. Even the slightest movement of the lens can vary the centre of the image by as much as one half of one millimetre. This is useless at these magnifications. I considered using focussing rails, but they will move the lens too. The problem is that the length and weight of the lens combo makes any movement at all induce lens movement.

I had to find some way of refocussing without touching the lens or camera at all. I resorted to tethered shooting, and the smallest adjustment in EOS Utility was just enough to change the point of focus. Unfortunately there is still some slight ghosting which I think may be due to focus breathing and focus is changed.

Not sure if I can improve this with the equipment available, and I've no wish to start spending silly money. So this remains as an interesting exercise, all for the price of a coupling ring.

Re: What I wanted the lens cap for...

Amazing!!!
    ef-r

Comment

Wow that is macro
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Cracking picture. When I was a technical camera thingy in the very distant past we rarely focused the lens but moved the object of interest back a forth. It was engineering things like cog teeth edges parts of jet engines and sometime human skin.
        Cheers
        Treff

Comment

Thanks all. Treff, I did think about moving the object, but the movements I needed were so small that they were impossible to achieve by hand. I even constructed a sort of ratchet thingy, but couldn't get the extremely small micro movements needed. It will need so clever computer controls to do that. The EOS utility does have that micro movement, so I settled for that, even though it's less than perfect. Camera was rock solid and weighted down by sandbags to stop the merest hint of movement.

Comment

Very impressive, I would like to see some more examples when you have them.

What staking SW did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post

What staking SW did you use?
              Sorry, don't understand that bit.

Comment

Now that is serious macro, well done on the shot - although just a little too noisy for me (sorry)

.DAVID.
                Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by David Stallard View Post
                  Now that is serious macro, well done on the shot - although just a little too noisy for me (sorry)

.DAVID.

No need to apologise. The shot is far from perfect: I only posted it because I'd been asked what I was doing with a drilled out lens cap. It's gone in my "Keeper" folder, but only after a long debate with myself!!!

Comment

That is SWEET!

Well done, and thanks for posting!

All the best, Mike.
                    flickr
                    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

WOW. Never thought about taking anything that small.

Plus: I think Muscat was asking what software you used to stack the images.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

Yup, it is small. I did think about a grain of salt, but decided that the brown colour in sugar might show up better.

As for stacking software I used the Zerene Stacker this time.

A good exercise, which has had many toggers scratching their heads. Well worth the £3.50 or so that the coupling ring cost.

Comment

Thanks for the note ref. the stacking software you used

Comment

Working...
                          X