Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you feel lack of gear is hilding you back ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you feel lack of gear is hilding you back ?

Want to make money ?

If you have the talent,
    Don't bother wasting years building up the equipment you think is required to produce quality images. Just drum up £50 K s worth of business. Then buy your equipment in one hit - on short term low interest finance :-)

Millie

Re: Do you feel lack of gear is hilding you back ?

There seems to be an awful lot of people who because of job losses are trying to earn a crust out of their camera. I assume to make enough to live it requires lots of really hard work and long days to get it right. Plus you have to have the (right) 'talent'. I guess I should try and get my DSLR to some of the out of the way places I walk to ... rather than my trusty G10. Because these locations tend to require several hours of hard walking and scrambling to get to the location (and that's from where the car/coach/... gets you) ... you don't see a lot of folk with lots of camera gear. I'm getting into panoramas ... but as I've written elsewhere I've tried to HDR some of the Vista's.

Millie - it's hard enough druming up £50k's worth of consulting in my area ... that I can only guess at the hard work required as a photographer.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but it hit home with me.

My personal view is to be confident to go up against some of the more established photographers in your area, I do sincerely believe that if you dont have the kit, you're losing out.

I myself are struggling to gather all the kit I want and produce the quality work that is indicative of the area I'm in. I had a quick look at the competition and they are all using 5D mk2 & 3's, L glass, tripods with legs stronger than mine and proper lighting kits with speedlights and all that. I thought about it, and it would probably cost me about 3 grand to get all that stuff together and that's 2nd hand.

But why?

It's about confidence and your ability to be bold about getting the job.

An expensive hobby seems to have suddenly turned into something I just want to do all day long lol
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul if you're ready - and the only thing holding you back is tools - get the work + hire the tools to begin with.

Trev

Comment

Bit tongue in cheek but made me laugh

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Stop it Guys, I got soooooo excited there, when I saw thread from Millie
            Bob Turner
            Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Stop it Guys
              Bob, I'm being positive and encouraging.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                Bob, I'm being positive and encouraging.Trev
                I know that Trev, it's just seeing Millie's name at the forefront of the forums again, fair gave me a trembling
                Bob Turner
                Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

It's often not about gear! Some of my best selling photos have been shot on a 350D with a sigma 18-200 lens and polarising filter.
                  That kit is still what I take on holidays as it's light fits in a backpack and on flights.

My next biggest list of sellers come from using my wife's 20D using the 10-22 and the 24-70L

I will admit that since I upgraded to pro gear I've been injured a lot, shattered my collar bone into a few 100 pieces the week after I got a 1ds MkIII and the lovely 16-35 lens, and maybe if this hadn't of happened my best selling photos would be from that.

What I'm trying to say is if you've got an eye for things and know the market you're working in then you can sell, it doesn't always depend on gear.
                  Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Twitter: @PicturesqueScot

Comment

There is always that next bit of kit thats either wanted or just needed......
                    Wiltshire Wedding Photographer
                    Sean Chiffers Photography on Facebook
                    Sean Chiffers Photography on flickr

Comment

Sorry, why do people keep resurrecting Millie's post? And where is she, I miss her anyway
                      Bob Turner
                      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Working...
                      X