Some music shots done with a 500D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some music shots done with a 500D

I've been trying out my 500D doing concert shots at fairly small venues and have been really presently surprised at the quality of the results. They were shot on 750HD mode and uploaded to YouTube. I think in all cases the lens was the nifty fifty and done in the video "live mode" thing...

The (for want of a better word) post-production was just done in Windows Movie Maker.

Gordon Giltrap - The Dodo's Dream

Gordon Giltrap - Down The River

Victoria Vox with Never The Bride - C'Est Noye

Laura Cortese Acoustic Project - Perfect Tuesdays
    Trevor

Equipment: Canon EOS500D, Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 zoom lens, Canon 50mm f1.8 lens, Canon Speedlite 580EXII

Re: Some music shots done with a 500D

Is the sound from just the camera microphone as well?
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Di,

Purely in point and fire mode. It's the 500D's internal mic on all the vids...

Trevor
      Trevor

Equipment: Canon EOS500D, Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 zoom lens, Canon 50mm f1.8 lens, Canon Speedlite 580EXII

Comment

Hi Trevor,
        I only watched a minute of the first one,the picture quality looks good to me. The is sound better than a lot of music videos I've looked at, and I look at a lot.

Despite never hearing their music I've alway's been aware of the existance of the Gordon Glitrap band, not sure why or how.
        Thanks for sharing, you've helped me put a sound to the name. I will search you tube for the GGB :-)

Trev
        Last edited by Trevoreast; 18-06-2011, 17:28.

Comment

Great image quality and the sound is rather good considering its the in-built microphone.
          I've had the 5D2 for 2 years now and yet to use the video other than a wee trial when I first got it.
          Videos like these make me think that I should give it a try.

Some great sounds from Gordon Giltrap. I'll have to look into getting some of his music if this is anything to go by

Thanks for sharing
          Mike
          www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorRaggatt View Post
            Di,

Purely in point and fire mode. It's the 500D's internal mic on all the vids...

Trevor

Video looks good and the sound quaility is really good considering its just the little mike on the front of the camera, I've not shot any video at all with my camera, might just have to give it a go... only need to find something half decent to video
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Wow, Trevor you got me excites here as a fellow 500D owner. Could you share with me your setup? It almost looks as it you hand held your camera. Is that correct?
              Do you use the video more? If so, how do you refocus? Manually or auto? And: how can you do that without missing up the sound with the noise of a focussing lens?

Thanks for the inspiration!
              Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
              EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

Wow, Trevor you got me excites here as a fellow 500D owner. Could you share with me your setup? It almost looks as it you hand held your camera. Is that correct?
                Do you use the video more? If so, how do you refocus? Manually or auto? And: how can you do that without missing up the sound with the noise of a focussing lens?

Thanks for the inspiration!

The setup is literally as stated in my signature below. I think that all the videos were filmed with my 50mm f1.8 lens (the "Nifty Fifty"). but it is all just hand-held. For the Giltrap ones I was sitting in the front row - me, a big fan? Surely not! ;) - so to steady the camera I was able to sit with my legs crossed and use my left knee to steady the camera... about the lowest tech tripod you can get. I don't use the video mode much - I was taking shots during the gig so it seemed like a good ideal to grab a few videos of favourite songs and have a go at using the new camera and get to try out another feature

I must say that the Canon video mode isn't perfect or as intuitive to use as it could be. It's effectively like the "Live Mode" there you use the * button to focus the camera to a fixed focal length. In such I think that it's best suited to static subjects. I've not found a way to have automatic focusing on a moving subject (my previous cheaper snappy-snap digital cameras could do this) however, it's always possible that I just haven't found that function yet! I have tried refocusing live with the * button but it's not usable because it does that "searching" thing that the camera does trying to focus in Live mode... off way out of focus and then slowly in and out until the camera's happy. As I say, there may be another trick I just haven't found yet!

I guess that lens motor noise would be a fact of life in that mode but of course, it would also depend on the source sound volume too, I guess - effectively what the signal to noise ratio is.

However, for informal stuff/personal use it is good fun!

Despite never hearing their music I've alway's been aware of the existance of the Gordon Glitrap band, not sure why or how.
                Thanks for sharing, you've helped me put a sound to the name. I will search you tube for the GGB :-)
                Trev, Mike,

Gordon is a fab guitar player and a lovely chap to boot. If you're a child of the 60s/70s like me you might remember the BBC's Holiday Programme on the telly presented by Cliff Michelmore... Gordon's tune Heartsong was the theme for it. It was a minor hit at the time. As Gordon used to say introducing it at his gigs, "Here's a medley of my hit!" (health warning - this film NOT shot on a Canon 500d :-D )

He's still gigging around the country and is well worth checking out if he comes near you. Details at www.giltrap.co.uk
                Last edited by TrevorRaggatt; 20-06-2011, 07:30. Reason: Can't type for toffee - far too many tpying musookes not to go back and re-edit it
                Trevor

Comment

My my Gordon Giltrap. Now there's a blast from the past!

Haven't tried video mode much on my 500D, but seeing these I might give it a go.

Mazz
                  “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                  http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X