Movie camera gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie camera gear

Just won a follow focus kit from fotga, with a view to getting more into manual focussing rather than using auto focus. There's a couple of reasons for this, the first and most important is I am seeing more and more instances of wildlife subjects reacting to the infra-red from my lenses when the lens is adjusting the focus automatically, Adders in particular, but also some bird species, vanish the moment you point a lens at them. I have the focus on my dslr set at a single centre point that I usually aim at the eye of the subject.................................and there it was gone, so I now focus away from the head, get a focus and then move to the desired position on the subject, now this works most of the time, but I have lost some important shots due to auto focus. Taking this forward to using the C100 mkii and I notice my ef camera lens do "hunt" when moving the camera, bound to it's keeping in focus, but it is flailing around infra-red light beams potentially causing subjects to scarper not unlike like a light saber from Star Wars, so more manual focus is required and with a follow focus unit I won't be moving my hands/arms about finding the focus ring. I will have the follow focus handle in my hand, one less movement to frighten off skittish animals like Beavers, Otters and birds like Jays when I'm sat in hides.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

For those who might contemplate using a digital movie camera or using the function on a dslr or mirrorless, have a look at DaVinci Resolve editing suite, not only is a very comprehensive tool, but there is a version that is free to download and does everything I seem to need and more.

Comment

That's awesome that you won a Fotga follow focus kit! It sounds like a game-changer for your wildlife photography, especially with those skittish subjects. The struggle with autofocus spooking wildlife is real, and it's impressive how you've adapted by adjusting your focusing technique.

Going manual with a follow focus on your C100 mkii is a smart move. The ability to smoothly and precisely control your focus without the "hunting" movements is crucial, especially for capturing elusive creatures like Beavers, Otters, and birds.

And the infrared interference issue is something many photographers don't even think about. It's great that you've identified it as a challenge and found a solution. Having that extra control with the follow focus handle will definitely make a difference, and you won't have to worry about unnecessary movements scaring off your subjects.

Diving deep into the world of suspense and intrigue, 'Rear Window' by Alfred Hitchcock isn't just a film; it's a masterclass in suspenseful storytelling. Released in 1954, this Hitchcockian masterpiece stars James Stewart as a wheelchair-bound photographer who becomes an unwitting observer to a captivating mystery unfolding across the courtyard of his apartment complex. The film's meticulous pacing, atmospheric tension, and Hitchcock's signature touch of suspense create an immersive experience that stands the test of time. 'Rear Window' isn't just my favorite; it's a cinematic journey into the art of suspense and voyeurism from 123movies official site.
      Last edited by Will.I.Am; 28-02-2024, 19:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Will.I.Am View Post
        That's awesome that you won a Fotga follow focus kit! It sounds like a game-changer for your wildlife photography, especially with those skittish subjects. The struggle with autofocus spooking wildlife is real, and it's impressive how you've adapted by adjusting your focusing technique.

Going manual with a follow focus on your C100 mkii is a smart move. The ability to smoothly and precisely control your focus without the "hunting" movements is crucial, especially for capturing elusive creatures like Beavers, Otters, and birds.

And the infrared interference issue is something many photographers don't even think about. It's great that you've identified it as a challenge and found a solution. Having that extra control with the follow focus handle will definitely make a difference, and you won't have to worry about unnecessary movements scaring off your subjects.

Do you have any specific wildlife photography goals or projects you're excited to tackle with your new follow focus kit? It sounds like you're set for some fantastic captures!
        My first goal is to get into the Cairngorms in the snow to get the Hares, Buntings and Ptarmigan, but the snow cover is very thin at the moment, watching the ski centres web cams waiting for a bit more of the white stuff. Lower down I hope to do a "Spring time" film at various locations, with hopefully some interesting subjects

Comment

Working...
        X