BWC 5th Dec.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BWC 5th Dec.

Brian S and I went to the BWC members lunch today, it was great to go out with Brian again and also to see the animals, here are a few from the day for C&C.

5D3, ISO 800, 7-300L @ 88mm, 1/400, f7.1 plus 580 flash infill

5D3, ISO800, 400mm f5.6L, f5.6, 1/400 plus 580 flash infill

5D3, ISO800, 400mm f5.6L, f5.6, 1/400 plus 580 flash infill

5D3, ISO800, 400mm f5.6L, f6.31/400 plus 580 flash infill

Re: BWC 5th Dec.

Oh Yes-hi vis coat - Brians back!!

Comment

Great shots Ian, but the best one is the first one... seeing young Squibb up and about, even the red squirrel seems to be welcoming him back.
      David

Comment

Excellent set of images, but the burning question is, what you had to give the squirrel to pose like that lol brilliant

John

Comment

I like the squirrel shot as well. Looks like he's sitting there saying, if I sit like this what will you give me.
          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
          Di's Flickr

Comment

It was a great day and my thanks to Muscat for the day out. I used the 1DS3 + 400 f 2.8 all day - next time the 600mm comes out :)
            ef-r

Comment

Great set Ian, the otter close-up is my pick .
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Some nice poses Ian apart from the first one

The only thing is that using the flash has given the appearence that they are all oversharpened, which i am sure they are not. At the shutter speeds you had i think you could easily have got away without using the flash

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

BWC 5th Dec.

Lovely images

Tom

Comment

Thanks guys, it was good to get out again with Brian and we had a great day and weather permitting plan to do it again in the near future.

Stan, I agree to a certain extent with what you are saying, particularly on the squirrel shots but to be honest in the red squirrel enclosure at ISO 800 I could not have used the shutter speed without the flash infill, I would have had to push the ISO up to minimum of 3200. Yes I know my camera could have taken that but the day was really to get out and have some fun, I also was testing the 400mm lens having spent a lot of time micro-adjusting the focus, I also wanted to play with the flash extender that I had been given for my birthday.

Comment

I also wanted to play with the flash extender that I had been given for my birthday.
                      be interesting to hear what you think of it once you have given it a good testing. I borrowed one with a view to buy it from old canon (Brian) a while ago but couldnt get on with it

Stan

flickr

Comment

Stan,

I was impressed with the extender, it works best when the subject is quite a way off and adds a nice lift to the subject. If as with the squirrels and otters you are close it does tend to add the ‘sharpening’ effect but that could be due to me not having fully worked out the best way of using it. The one thing that I have notices is that it tends to give more ‘red eye’ in the animals than a standard flash but then a standard flash doesn’t have the reach.

Look at these deer which were shot using the extender, it added the lift needed to what was pretty flat light. They were, as you can see, at the tree line in the deer park which I am guessing was 100-150m away from me. Shots taken without the flash are flat as can be seen from the stag shot posted as a comparison. Both taken with the 5D3, 400mm f5.6L, 1/400 and ISO 800. I have done very little to the first shot, mainly remove the 'red eye'

Comment

The extender certainly works well
                          ef-r

Comment

#1 - that squirrel is eying up that beard as a drey

Nice set as usual.

Comment

Yes it looks like it has worked well with the deer, the fur looks quite natural and detailed and no sign of oversharpening .I think that at a distance the extender works well as a fill in flash but at close quarters because it is quite powerful anyway it acts more as the main exposure and the appearance of oversharpening - for those sort of shots perhaps either set the flash exposure comp to -3 or put it in manual mode and dial right down ?

With the second, non flash shot, I think it is more of a white balence thing - would look much better just warmed up

Stan

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X