Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marwell Zoo

Hi

I've been so busy I haven't had time to work on these shots until now, but I went to Marwell Zoo on the last Bank Holiday Monday, and here's my favourites from the day.

I have now managed to add the actual photos after a week of being plagued with the 503's!

Bit disappointing that the wire and glass was so prominent but I guess that's better than the Jaguars running around!

Loved the way this Jaguar eyed me up!
    7D, 70-300 L, 1/2500, f5, 150mm, 400iso

Jaguar eye contact by mikep_eos, on Flickr

First thing in the morning, and the animals are out trying to catch the sun's rays! These Ring-Tailed Lemurs huddled together to warm up!
    7D, 70-300 L, 1/250, f5, 200mm, 400iso

Family getting warm by mikep_eos, on Flickr

but this one obviously didn't like having his picture taken!
    7D, 70-300 L, 1/400, f8, 260mm, 400iso

Rude! by mikep_eos, on Flickr

This Lemur was a bit of a sun-worshipper!
    7D, 70-300 L, 1/1000, f8, 70mm, 400iso

Enjoying the sun by mikep_eos, on Flickr

and later on, he was quite chilled for it!
    7D, 70-300 L, 1/2000, f8, 1550mm, 400iso

Chillin! by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Later on I was impressed by how well camoufalged this Jaguar was in the dappled sunlight.
    7D, 70-300 L, 1/400, f4, 70mm, 400iso

Jaguar blending in by mikep_eos, on Flickr
    Last edited by mikep; 15-06-2013, 06:33.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: Marwell Zoo

Pity about the Jaguar, but the others look quite natural.

I like Marwell, but it's not particularly photographer friendly. Many of the most exciting animals you have to shoot against the light and those that are behind glass, the glass is often dirty and smeared.
    Colin

Comment

Marwell is never easy particularly with the big cats. I am a bit surprised the wire is showing at f 5 but on reflection i think to get it blurred completely as well as shooting as close as possible to the wire you need your lens at its longest length, ie 300mm although i appreciate at that length you would only have got half a head

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Tom

Comment

Thanks Colin, Stan and Tom.

Yes pity about the wire. I know you really need to get up to the wire, but it's not possible to at Marwell (and not advisable with the big cats anyway!). You are a few feet away from the wire, and if the animal is close to wire on the other side, you just can't get enough separation.

I have now posted the remainder of the thread that somehow vanished during yesterday! When I posted, there were 6 shots, but on checking just now, there were only 3! We're back to the original 6!

Cheers, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Hi Mike
            Just looking at your post again when I am awake - unless it's a new arrival I think your jaguar is an amur leopard. If so there is the glass viewing areas without wire to get in the way
            Stan
            Last edited by Stan; 15-06-2013, 07:58.
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Hi again!

@Stan - I think you're right about the Amur Leopard not being a Jaguar! It was quite a while ago I went, so I forgot what I had taken!
              Apart from the first shot, all the rest were taken through glass, which was grubby, quite thick, or had light reflections. The shots therefore have had much more PP than I normally use, to bring them back to usable. I still think there are some good opportunities at Marwell, as long as you appreciate the limitations!

Thanks, Mike.
              flickr

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks for looking Di!
                  flickr

Comment

Considering the limitations Mike I think you have done well, the first pic Jaguar/Leopard is a really good pose.

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X