Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Photographing Hares

Hi All,

I recently saw a Stunning Picture of a Hare for sale in a Gallery, I must have a go at that thinks Yours Truly.

Flipping Heck, they have a Sixth Sense I am sure of it, the number of times I was putting the Camera to my eye and Whoosh, off it goes!!!

I just can't seem to get close enough to get a decent shot, my longest lens is a 300mm F4 with a 1.4Ext, and I still have to do a massive crop.

I have found quite a few places where Hares are around, and I can sit on the edge of the field in my Car and shoot through the window, numerous times I have parked and crept around in the long grass, without any amount of luck.

Are these small one man Hides any good, do the Hares take notice and keep well away? Do they have to be left up for a week before the Hares get used to them?

Anyone got any advise?

Here are the best I have managed so far.

16 by pelliott1954, on Flickr

20 by pelliott1954, on Flickr

21 by pelliott1954, on Flickr

23 by pelliott1954, on Flickr

24 by pelliott1954, on Flickr

Taken with 7D, 70-200mm F2.8L and 1.4Ext

Regards Paul
    Last edited by pelliott1954; 15-07-2013, 21:12.

Re: Help Photographing Hares

Funny you should say that...I was trying to photograph a hare today. My shots were not even as good(or should that be bad) as yours.

Comment

Only advice is get a good pair of trainers and get your 100meters down to about 10 sec, make sure you have the IS turned on and you should start to see an improvement in your keep rate!!! good luck.
      Not a bad set by the way.

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

You did very well to get those shots, they are very very quick. They seem to scurry off as soon as you notice them.

Bill.
        7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks Sara, Paul and Bill for having a look and leaving a comment, much appreciated.

Paul, I was never anywhere near 10 secs for 100m 30 years ago, I would need a Car to do it now!!!.

A Farmer told me I was wasting my time trying to creep up on them you have to sit and wait for them to come to you, that's what made me think about the hide, very few people on here ever mention them though so I sort of thought that maybe they are not that good.

Regards Paul

Comment

Three things mainly affect wildlife behaviour:

F Food
            F Procreation
            F Fear

So apart from developing your Fieldcraft skills, you need to look at the above and see how they will help you. Food is a waste of time for Hares as they are in a field full of their favourite fare. Fear will only make them disappear, so we are left with the last one.

Heard the saying of the Mad March Hare? It is with good reason because they are looking to assert their dominance over other males and impress the females. They will be a little more tolerant of your presence because they have more important things on their mind .......... as long as you don't cross their comfort zone. Generally, fields will have been freshly ploughed so you won't be fighting the tall grass for focussing and you may also be lucky with their famed boxing.

A small one man hide will help a lot. Work out in advance where the light will be best and site accordingly and bear in mind that unless you are leaving the hide in place, you will need to set it up at dawn to give you a fair crack at some shots. Wind coming towards you, or sideways will help. Don't wear deodorants, aftershave etc. They will smell those artificial scents a mile away. When in the hide, move the lens very slowly. They are prey animals and any sudden movements will alarm them.

I thought you have done rather well so far and no reason why you shouldn't continue, but next March is the time.
            Colin

Comment

Thanks for that reply Colin, I would love to get the Boxing Hares that you mention it is one of "Those" photographs, which people, including myself aspire to. I would never have thought about the Deoderant/Aftershave bit, but makes perfect sense.

Very few Hare Pictures on the Forum are ever posted, has anyone got any with any stories about how you did it?

Thanks again Colin, I will keep trying, especially next March, and it keeps me away from Aeroplanes!!

Regards Paul

Comment

There was an interesting item on Hares on this years Springwatch ( I think) apparently the boxing is between females and males. It seems she's sorting them by ability, strength, etc for the second of Colin's F's.
                Nice photo's BTW.

Comment

Thanks Jeffo, there is a lot of interesting stuff on the Web about Hare Hunting to Photograph.

I think we should have a suitable Challenge!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Nice pics Paul. I have never been able to photograph a Hare, let alone seen one! I have of course a good few ones of rabbits which I sometimes tell the uninformed that it is a "hare"!!
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Ha Ha Thanks Nat, surely you wouldn't pull a trick like that!!!!

Regards Paul

Comment

Colin, did you get top marks for spelling at school?

Paul, they are better shots than I've ever managed, well done.
                        Russell
                        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Paul, I have no advice to give, having never captured one myself, but you've already had some good results, so please stick with it; I for one would love to see more!
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks Russell and Alex, much appreciated.

I have been out again today but fear it was too hot, didn't see many Hares at all, did manage to get some shots though of one willing participant, I will have another go tomorrow and hopefully add a few more pics too.

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X