First shots with my 7D & high ISO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First shots with my 7D & high ISO

Upgraded to a 7D last week and what a difference to the 50D, image quality and in particular noise handling.
    The first shot is a red crested pochard at the London Wetlands. Very little processing required and no noise reduction
    7D, 70-200 f2.8 + 1.4x, 1/500 @ f5, ISO 400

The second is a song thrush at Blashford Lakes shot at ISO 3200. A little more processing on this one including one pass with Neat Image
    7D, 300 f4 + 1.4x, 1/640 @ f5.6, ISO 3200

WDYT

Stan
    Last edited by Stan; 20-01-2010, 09:47.
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: First shots with my 7D & high ISO

Hello Stan;

Nice images; but not a fair comparison, by the looks of it...

I suspect that the 50D can produce equally good imaging at ISO400 in good light, as you have the Pochard... Certainly I would expect my 40D to do so!

It would have been interesting to see a direct comparison of the Thrush with the 7D at ISO3200!
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Hi
      I have used both the 40D and 50D and know from experience of using both cameras for over a year that yes the 40D more often than not, noise at ISO 400 is more than acceptable but in my experience the 50D usually needs some nr in post processing.
      It would have been interesting to see a direct comparison of the Thrush with the 7D at ISO3200!
      not quite sure what you mean - I have taken shots with the 50D at ISO 3200 and even with post processing very rarely have they been worth keeping

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
        not quite sure what you mean - I have taken shots with the 50D at ISO 3200 and even with post processing very rarely have they been worth keeping
        You have the Thrush flagged as taken with the 50D! Is it supposed to say 7D?
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

You have the Thrush flagged as taken with the 50D! Is it supposed to say 7D?
          Ahhh...sorry for the confusion...senior moment.
          Yes of course it was taken with the 7D and have now amended the description

flickr

Comment

I have never had problems with my 50d at ISO 400 and then the noise only starts creeping in at ISO800 in low light or when there is very high contrast

I would not expect any noise in picture #1 from my 50d at your settings
            ef-r

Comment

Hi Stan,
              I respect your views re. the 40D V 50D because I know (from before) that you use your cameras a hellova lot.
              If you want to help people look at the noise, you could kindly give us a 100% crop that includes an area with shadows, with no NR or other PP. ?

Millie

Comment

I posted this in the Birds section. Taken with 7d + 100-400 m lens. Iso 500; 1/160 at f9. Could certrainly not have gott he feathers so clear with my 20D in bad light! Will try a few higher iso shots later to see results as it's dark and snowy here!

Comment

P.S - Forgot to mention that it was takenthrough a window - fairly clean!

Comment

Hi Diana,
                    Very nice detail indeed for through a window 1/160 @ at 400mm, you must have a good window cleaner.

I realise that the context in which you're posting this picture is "high iso with the 7d".
                    The BG is bit messy, that said; shooting from the comfort of your home, through a window you'd be somewhat limited in in terms of POV or comp.

Millie

Comment

It was just to illustrate the 7d's capabilities - am in the process of trying 2000 iso righit nkmow!

Comment

Hi Millie
                        I respect your views re. the 40D V 50D because I know (from before) that you use your cameras a hellova lot.
                        Yes, I used both the 40D and the 50D a lot. I was always quite happy with the 40D but upgraded to the 50D, partly so I could pass on the 40D to my wife but mainly hoping to be able to produce better shots at higher ISO. It did not really happen and my experience has been the necessity to use nr on most images at 400 and above, despite in many cases getting the exposure right in camera. Ok, not a big problem, just meant more work in post processing and I have loads of thots with which I have been more than happy, regularly scoring high marks in camera club competitions and some have been published including those in the current issue of EOS magazine ( they were all shot at ISO 400)

In regard to the pochard shot, Brian says he can get the same sort of quality from his 50D, thats fair enough but I doubt he would match the song thrush at ISO3200 on a 50D. Also it looks like Diana is proving the point also

I've only had the 7D for a few days, so I am still finding my way around it. All I am saying is with limited experience using it, I am very impressed

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                          Hi Millie

In regard to the pochard shot, Brian says he can get the same sort of quality from his 50D, thats fair enough but I doubt he would match the song thrush at ISO3200 on a 50D. Also it looks like Diana is proving the point also

Stan
                          As I have said noise starts creeping in at iso800 but in full sunlight it is usually OK
                          ef-r

Comment

I took several images at higher isos out of interest and enclose them here.
                            The first 3 were taken in rain and the last 3 (2000, 3200 and 6400) were in better light.
                            No PP - just as they came out of the camera!

All taken with 100-400 canon lens at 400 focal length

Any feedback would be interesting. I think the 6400 and 3200 are not brilliant!

1000 iso. 1/100 f9.0

1600 iso, 1/250 f 7.0

iso 2000 1/1250 f.7.0

iso 3200 1/1640 f12.9

Comment

And here is 6400 iso

Comment

Working...
                              X