Dartmoor Zoological Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dartmoor Zoological Park

The place made famous by the Matt Damon/Scarlett Johansson film "We Bought a Zoo" which is just outside Plymouth off the A38 heading towards Exeter. Today we had a serenade from the wolves and all of the big cats were out on show. My particular favourites were the two Siberian Amur Tigers and the Southern Cheetah who were all happy to pose for everyone, although in this case everyone was myself and my wife and four other people - not really a big audience.

Here's a selection shot with my 7D2 and a variety of lens combinations - 70-200 with 1.4 TC, bare 400L and 400L with 1.4 TC. Still no noise reduction applied and a range of ISOs up to 16,000...

3B1A8988 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

3B1A9011 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

3B1A9029 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

And the now obligatory 7D2 high ISO shot, this time an Agouti shot at 16,000 with my 400L/1.4 tc.

3B1A9037 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

3B1A9043 by andymulhearn, on Flickr

And my wife was good enough to take a shot of the Tigir enclosure for me - it’s completely open so no wire or glass between you and the cats

Tiger enclosure by celia.mulhearn, on Flickr
    Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 01-12-2014, 06:10.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: Dartmoor Zoological Park

Updated. It just works this morning.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Super set there Andy ,camera looking good

Comment

Cheers Jeff, yes it does

The second to last shot is an Agouti and was shot at ISO 16,000. Usable at this size though I wouldn't want to use it any larger without more work and even then, not much larger.

Comment

A nice set Andy, particularly the full face at high ISO.

Really cements that I WANT ONE PLEASE
          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

nice set Andy - and yes I agree with Alan the full face one

PS Glad you managed to get images posted
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Alan, you know you want to

Ian, it seemed to work fine at 6:10 this morning, though to be fair I'd rather have been in bed than downstairs getting ready for work

Comment

Nice set Andy ,visited here a few years back it's a good place for big cats did you manage to get any of the jaguar and lynx ?

Comment

Dave, we saw the lynx - a wonderful cat. The jaguar sadly died a while back and the Cage is now full of wolves.
                  Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 01-12-2014, 21:12.

Comment

Nice work Andy
                    James
                    James Boardman Woodend
                    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

A very nice set Andy

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                        Date, we saw the lynx - a wonderful cat. The jaguar sadly died a while back and the Cage is now full of wolves.
                        Ah that's a shame ,
                        Would be interested n seeing the wolf shots if you took any.

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                          A very nice set Andy
                          Cheers Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Dave s View Post
                            Ah that's a shame ,
                            Would be interested n seeing the wolf shots if you took any.
                            Yes, we saw the Jaguar when we went last time. A definite bruiser he was too, looked like the big cat equivalent of an old prize fighter.

The wolves were either behind nets or having a kip on their perch so no shots of them I'm afraid.

Comment

Great set Andy, like the first one especially.

Bill.
                              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Working...
                              X