Sumatran Tigers at Dudley Zoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sumatran Tigers at Dudley Zoo

Well worth a visit if you're in the area. It's a bit hilly and was opened in 1937 and it shows, but we had a cracking time there. Best part was just before closing when a complete family of Lynxes came out and sat near their fence and a pair of Sumatran Tigers were out for a play. All with my 7D2 and 70-200 f4 L.

I'm glad I was 20 feet up a and behind a fence...

Thousand yard stare by Andy Mulhearn, on Flickr

He was getting frisky and she wanted nothing to do with it...

Go away by Andy Mulhearn, on Flickr
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: Sumatran Tigers at Dudley Zoo

I've just spotted that he was shot at ISO 10,000 and the pair of them at 4,000...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Cracking set Andy

Comment

Both show how well the 7D II performs at high ISO

The first would be better I think as a tight crop on the head to exclude the signs of captivity

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Thanks Dave.

Stan, It's certainly good at high ISO - there's not much noise reduction on either of these shots. I've cropped the first to head only and it works but I'm not completely happy with it as you lose too much detail around the face. I've left a small bit of wood in the bottom right to keep the chin and point of the right (from my POV) ear...

3B1A7910.jpg

But perhaps it doesn't look to shabby after all...

Comment

shame about the fence post in the first and I'm not 100% sold on the crop TBH

the second is really nice

pretty impressive at 10k - you'd never get anywhere near that with the mk i
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
              shame about the fence post in the first and I'm not 100% sold on the crop TBH
              It's a bit marmite isn't it.

the second is really nice
              Thanks

pretty impressive at 10k - you'd never get anywhere near that with the mk i
              You can get 12,800 with expanded mode on the 7D. I suspect the results could best be termed as ghastly and I speak as someone that love and still has a 7D.

Comment

Very well taken Andy great images
                Chris

60D, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM,
                EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC

Comment

Well taken Andy

Tom

Comment

I prefer the close crop

If you are worried about loss of detail, it will take a bit more sharpening

stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

Thanks chaps.

Stan I'm talking about the loss of features - to crop out all of the post I'd have to lose part of his ear which is why there's a small part of the post in the bottom right. I like to keep in the whiskers as well. Can't have everything

Comment

Working...
                      X