Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I didn't expect to see this in the garden.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I didn't expect to see this in the garden.....

....and I'm still not sure whether it is a ferret or a mink - I favour the former since I was able to get close enough to touch it, although it was not keen on being captured. However, I don't know anyone within reasonable distance of us who keeps ferrets.

It clearly has a wound below its right eye, and its back legs seemed a little shaky, so it has either been fighting or hit by a vehicle perhaps.

Having sought advice from the local fount of all knowledge (the barbers) I was told to throw a sack over it to capture it. Unfortunately, by the time I had found anything remotely suitable, it seemed to have wandered off.

So it remains an unexpected but interesting mystery.

Ferret or Mink 01 by John Liddle, on Flickr

Ferret or Mink 02 by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Well I didn't expect to see this in the garden.....

Great pics- fortunate to be in the right place with a loaded & correctly lensed up camera.

I await with interest the knowledgeable togs on here to tell us what it is!
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Visually there is nothing to say it`s not a Mink , though I would be amazed if a wild mink let you touch it , and let you keep your hands in tact . Shame it`s been injured , coincidentally I see what I think was a dead Polecat on the roadside a few weeks back . Well done for getting the photos , so often we are not prepared for such happenings .

Comment

It doesn't look much like a ferret, which one would expect to have more white, or at least pale, colour on the head. Seems like a mink, perhaps its apparent tameness was down to the fact that it had been injured, perhaps with some concussion or similar. Not a good idea to touch it, both animals can give a nasty bite very quickly, which could easily become infected.
        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Great shot John. Well done. Looks as if the animal has been in some sort of a fight- some wounds under it's right eye.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Barbara, Fallow, Richard & Nathaniel - thanks for looking and commenting.

I am coming round to the view that it was a mink, but I am surprised that one should be in our patch - the nearest significant body of water is 2km away, although we do have a small stream within a couple of hundred yards.

I shall have to warn my neighbour who keeps a few chickens!
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
            X