WHF Puma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHF Puma

Those of you who have visited the WHF will know that the classic puma shot is the leap. I managed quite a few including some strange looking ones in mid air. Here are a couple as he takes off and the third eyeing up lunch - us ?

7D and 70-200 f2.8

Last edited by Stan; 13-09-2010, 21:03.
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: WHF Puma

Excellent series Stan. I prefer the second of the leaping and just love the expression of the third

Comment

Greats et of images Stan.

Coda
      There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Superb Stan with the leaps caught at the peak of the action.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Thanks Glenn Coda and Colin
          With the colour of the puma against the rocks it is quite difficult to get a believable shot. With the second leap shot I got almost the same shot last year and when I entered it in a camera club competition the judge said it looked like it had been pasted on. I might try it again this year with a different judge.
          Heres two more, the next frames of the leap which when caught in mid air it can look a little strange

Stan

flickr

Comment

Great shots Stan. The ones of the leap are outstanding

David
            David

Comment

Stan a great series, they are all fabulous, my favourite is #2 and #3

Comment

2 more superb shots Stan.

Comment

Cheers David, Muscat and Glenn
                  This time round I seem to have many more shots that are keepers than from last years visit - I reckon its mainly down to the camera and possibly i now have more idea what i am doing

Stan

flickr

Comment

Stan

We all know that they were genuine shots, but the second two you posted "could" have been pasted to the uninitiated, i.e. the judge. As you are aware, there are a lot of photoshopped pictures put in front of a judge and to minimise looking an idiot, they often comment that it could have been.

Too late for this occasion, but I have given this some thought and you could try this if/when you ever return:

Set the camera exposure to 1/30sec. Set the flash to second curtain synch at -1 compensation. You may have to tweek the settings slightly, but with using 1/30sec imparting some blur behind and the flash freezing the action at the front, you should end up with a shot showing dynamic movement, that even a judge could tell was a genuine shot.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Hi Colin
                      the second two you posted "could" have been pasted to the uninitiated
                      thats what i meant when I said they could look a little strange
                      Dee is already talking about going again next year.
                      I had thought of using flash this time as when we left Bournemouth the rain was tipping down and the light was aweful. however it was much brighter in Kent so did not need to. I did wonder if it would have worked anyway as you are shooting through the mesh and had thought the flash would have meant they would show in the shot. When you talk about blur presume you are meaning a blur around the edge of the animal rather than the background as of course you cant move the camera
                      Sounds like something worth trying

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                        Stan

Set the camera exposure to 1/30sec. Set the flash to second curtain synch at -1 compensation. You may have to tweek the settings slightly, but with using 1/30sec imparting some blur behind and the flash freezing the action at the front, you should end up with a shot showing dynamic movement, that even a judge could tell was a genuine shot.

Colin
                        I like that idea - I was thinking of 1/100 and panning - but yours could really work well especially if you used more flash than ambient so the the obkect stood out more from the background.
                        ef-r

Comment

I was thinking of 1/100 and panning
                          you cant pan brian as unless you position the lens centrally up against the mesh the bars will show

Stan

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                            you cant pan brian as unless you position the lens centrally up against the mesh the bars will show

Stan
                            I thought you were up against a viewing screen - oh well
                            ef-r

Comment

With the second leap shot I got almost the same shot last year and when I entered it in a camera club competition the judge said it looked like it had been pasted on. I might try it again this year with a different judge.
                              We all know that they were genuine shots, but the second two you posted "could" have been pasted to the uninitiated, i.e. the judge. As you are aware, there are a lot of photoshopped pictures put in front of a judge and to minimise looking an idiot, they often comment that it could have been.
                              Just an update on this one. I entered the shot in last nights camera club competition, different judge, and although he agreed it was a stunning shot, refused to believe it had not been manipulated and marked it down
                              (Colin will know the judge)

Stan

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X