• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muntjac Hardcore

Both of us hanging out in the rain .

Muntjac Hardcore by Mark Powter, on Flickr

Re: Muntjac Hardcore

nice to see one in the wild - only ever seen captive at the British Wildlife Centre.

I think you may have overdone the processing on this Mark - the image looks oversharpened, especially the grass and rain and there is a halo around the animal. With sharpening as with noise reduction you need to be selective and with sharrpening, its best ony to sharpen the subject either by making a selection first or, as I do , sharpen the whole frame on a duplicate layer and then mask out those parts you dont want affected

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan , surprised you only see captive ones , if you listen to the Deer management crew , we should be tripping over them First try with Lightroom , does Lightroom auto add sharpening ? I did not sharpen till I had finished final edit in elements with no more than I normally do . Have not added any noise reduction , but was trying to ensure the rain was visible . Will try again if I have the time later . The light was at an odd angle , behind and to the right of the Muntjac , I think that`s the halo you mention , overcast but bright . Layers and masking are beyond my skills at present .
      Last edited by Lepus; 02-03-2017, 12:52.

Comment

Fallow, I love the composition and the rain gives it a great effect, but I do see exactly what Stan is saying around her head. Maybe it is due to rim lighting rather than over sharpening, but either way it makes it look to me 'cut out and stuck on', which is a shame. I'm not sure what to suggest, maybe bring highlights down in that area?
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks Alex , I might revisit if my editing skills ever improve .

Comment

Nice capture but the guys have got it right, it does 'look' over sharpened

Regards Paul

Comment

Nicely composed image

Tom

Comment

It was bugging me so I went back to look at the original , here is the image untouched , just resized for upload here . As you can see the Halo is there regardless of any enhancements I made , I think it is what it is , though my fiddling has made it more noticeable .

IMG_4737.jpg

Comment

Lovely capture Mark but it is over sharpened as you can barely detect the rain in the original above but it stands out in your processed shot and it has highlighted quite a bit of noise in the shot
                  Steve ( LSINWP )
                  1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Thanks Steve , it might be over processed but not over sharpened , I wanted to make the rain more prominent as it does help to tell the tale of the photo . I have not mastered the ability to just sharpen the main subject , I think that might of helped here .

Comment

Working...
                    X