Croc or Gator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Croc or Gator

Stopped off at Alligator Alley at the northern edge of the Florida Everglades and spotted this youngster. On the noticboard there was mention that it was possible to see both alligators and american crocodiles at the location and I may be wrong but looking at the head shape I am thinking this one is the latter

Stan

1/100, f8, ISO400, 300mm

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Croc or Gator

Have looked at Pics of both Stan and would say it'd definitely a Gator, the American Croc has a much longer snout and smaller eyes which don't protrude like the Alligators do.

Regards Paul

Comment

Stan

Tom

Comment

thanks guys

would say it'd definitely a Gator, the American Croc has a much longer snout and smaller eyes which don't protrude like the Alligators do

sounds right Paul

stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

This from livescience.com "Snout shape: Alligators have wider, U-shaped snouts, while crocodile front ends are more pointed and V-shaped. Toothy grin: When their snouts are shut, crocodiles look like they're flashing a toothy grin, as the fourth tooth on each side of the lower jaw sticks up over the upper lip." So I would say definitely an alligator.

StanII
          Stan Eastwood.

Canon 5D MkIV; EF 24-105mm Zoom 1:4 L IS USM; EF 17-40mm Zoom 1:4 L USM; EF 100mm MACRO 1:2.8 L IS USM; 40mm Pancake; 100-400mm Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 L IS II USM; 580EXII Flash; BG-E20RC Battery Grip; Teleplus 2X Converter; Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack.
          Lightroom; Photoshop

Comment

Working...
          X