Deer @ Tatton Park, Knutsford,Cheshre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deer @ Tatton Park, Knutsford,Cheshre

Thanks, Stalker,Colin,David for your advice. Yes, I had used evaluative metering when I could have easily used spot metering. I set a high ISO since I wanted a higher shutter shutter speed for my AV mode.|(using the 55mm-250mm lens) Yes, I could have used the histogram.......... yes ,yes, there are so many tools at my disposal with DSLR's and I must learn to use them. I was also on foot having parked my car a bit further away and did not know whether these stags would attack me- since I noticed quite a lot of visitors were watching the deer from their cars. Yes, one of the stags decided to have a "go" at me and I thought I'd post them for what they are worth.

Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Oh deer, i've not been to South Altrincham for ages. Must pay Dunham and Tatton a visit. The autumn colours must be coming along I guess.

The stags will attack if you enter the comfort zone ... or the comfort zone of the lady deer they've taken a shine to. Those antlers could do some serious damage to your kit.

PS - anyone planning a visit ... the road folk are in the throws of replacing Bowdon View bridge ... so check the travel reports before you visit.
      Last edited by George Bear; 18-10-2010, 10:27.

Comment

.........there are so many tools at my disposal with DSLR's and I must learn to use them.......
        Nathaniel,
        Each time I figure I have just about "got it" I am reminded of another "function/setting" I could have incorporated into the set up for the shot and I think......."stupid boy you knew about that".........my head hurts and is about to explode !!!!!

David
        David

Comment

George, I was more worried about my skin and not the kit. Fortunately I was able to get into my car and kept photographing. There is a dent on the driver's side of the car where I think one of the pointed antlers made contact. They seemed so "tame" and cuddley!!!! Perhaps now I know why no one got out of their vehicles. If you are thinking of visiting Tatton Park, Now, Oct, is a good time. The Stags too are quite frisky at the moment. David, I am glad that I am not the only one who forgets to use the vast array of settings one can use with the DSLR's. I can kick myself.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Nathaniel ... you must have gotten rather close!! If you want to get up close etc with animals … try driving through Knowsley Safari Park (a short distance away from Cheshire) … I was chicken and used the monkey avoiding route! You have to shoot through the cars windows … so make sure they are cleaned before you start.

It’s not just deer … I’ve heard tales of cows, camels, llamas and even sheep running at people.

Comment

.... and goats .....

ef-r

Comment

I know Knowlsley Safari Park meaning to visit it but I am put off my being forced to take photos through the car window. Not quite as nice as taking a shot without anything "in between"! I would also avoid the monkeys and similar as they tend to rip your windscreen wipers off the car- mine is not cheap to repair having just paid a little over £100 to sort out the dent caused by the deer. Longleat too has the monkeys,playing havoc with the car wipers.(Between Longleat & Knowlsey I prefer the former).

Comment

Hi just a quick note the monkeys at longleat are now not open to the visitors, or they weren't a little while ago, this is due to an infectious disease that they had contracted and a number of them had unfortunately been destroyed. Even if they are open you do not need to drive through that section of the park.

I can also relate to the dent caused by the deer,charming little creatures until they decide to wipe their antlers on the door

Comment

Well you wouldn't get me driving through animal places my car is soft top ;-)

Comment

Re:Deer at Tatton Park
                      Nathaniel, nice set of pictures. My favourite is 2 but the group works well. The other comments are by people who are far cleverer than I am but I think I agree with what the general concensus is. I will have to try and pay Tatton Park a visit.
                      graham.

Comment

Originally posted by Gra.C@Ashley View Post
                        Re:Deer at Tatton Park
                        Nathaniel, nice set of pictures. My favourite is 2 but the group works well. The other comments are by people who are far cleverer than I am but I think I agree with what the general concensus is. I will have to try and pay Tatton Park a visit.
                        graham.
                        I am sure Tatton park is a great place to visit- but don't get too close to the deer. You will find a great collection of deer- Stags and lady friends.

Comment

"Lady Friends"?

Oooh ................. can I have one?

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

Working...
                          X