Red Squirrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Squirrel

Out with my camera in the park and there were lots of these critters running around.

This is one poking his head around the tree.

50D, sigma 18-200 @200mm, 1/250, f 6.3

Squirrel on tree

and a portrait

Squirrel portrait

It's a great shame you don't see many - if any (wild) in the UK now!!
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Re: Red Squirrel

Verey nice I saw a few at Thornby point a few years ago and now i believe there`s none left.

Coda
    There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

There are still plenty of reds at Whinfell Centre Parc in Cumbria, the greys are kept out of the park.

Here's a couple of pics I took there last November:

Sorry if the images are too big, I resized them down to 800 wide in photobucket, but they are still pretty big

Colin
      Colin

Kit - 550d, canon 18-135mm & 55- 250mm & 50mm 1.8, tamron 70-300mm VC USD

Comment

I believe there is a warden team constantly on the lookout and asking for information about reds at Formby and Freshfields.

I also believe it should be against the law to encourage greys to feed or breed in this country! I have shot dozens of the little f3ck3rs in my mates garden for him. I hate them with a vengeance! The only good grey is a dead one! we should be encouraged to put feeders in parks that will only allow greys to feed from (weight opening for example) that contains feed laced in lethal toxins to eradicate them from the UK. Sorry...I have calmed down now...but it is so sad that the pictures we see above may well be some of the last we ever see of British reds.

Comment

None of the above (great pics by the way) are as red as Tufty - are they interbreeding.... look out for them back ens eh!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by minime View Post
            I believe there is a warden team constantly on the lookout and asking for information about reds at Formby and Freshfields.

I also believe it should be against the law to encourage greys to feed or breed in this country! I have shot dozens of the little f3ck3rs in my mates garden for him. I hate them with a vengeance! The only good grey is a dead one! we should be encouraged to put feeders in parks that will only allow greys to feed from (weight opening for example) that contains feed laced in lethal toxins to eradicate them from the UK. Sorry...I have calmed down now...but it is so sad that the pictures we see above may well be some of the last we ever see of British reds.
            I agree that they should be vigorously culled along with that other american import the mink. It's not only that the greys are competing for the reds food, they also pass on a pretty nasty disease that the reds have no immunity to.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
              None of the above (great pics by the way) are as red as Tufty - are they interbreeding.... look out for them back ens eh!
              I noticed that they were not very red but, (according to wikopedia) red squirrels come in all different shades & hues and their coat changes colour with the seasons, so hopefully thats the reason and not a one night stand with a grey!

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Thats a relief....that squirrel morals haven't been compromised.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                X