Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoo Visit

Dear All

Went to my local zoo the other day for some wildlife practice (the safari holiday will have to wait!!)
    Attached are a couple of examples, which I would love some feedback on, especially any tips on how to improve.
    All shots were taken with an EOS 550d using a 55-250mm IS lens.

1. Snow Leoaprd, F5.6, Iso 200, 1/200

IMG_1477.jpg

2. Meerkat, F16, Iso 200, 1/40

IMG_1410.jpg

3. Owl, F5, Iso 800, 1/200

IMG_1181.jpg

4. Leopard, F6.3, Iso 500, 1/400

IMG_1314.jpg

5. Landscape scene F5, Iso 200, 1/125

IMG_1239.jpg

Re: Zoo Visit

I liked #2 & #4 the best. Looks far more in their natural habitat.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

not a bad set of pics at all, but as some constructive c&c, can I make the following suggestions, albeit from my novice view;

1/. nice idea. I do think large cats lend themselves really well to B&W, but this one seems a little lost. I would crop the picture a little tighter to the leopard and maybe sharpen it a little.
      2/. looks a good natural photo and one of the best of the set. perhaps crop the top little more?
      3/. love the look on this Owls face but I would have tried to catch the whole of the tail too.
      4/. cracking shot, just a little more crop to the left to the line of the first tree, possibly a little sharper? but I do have a habbit of over sharpening some of my pics.
      5/. could be a really great shot if you could get rid of that small tree on the left

no doubt others could make further suggestions, and I do think they are good nonetheless as you tried to catch these in quite natural looking habitats.
      David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
      All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Hi Dave,

As noted by David above, I am not an expert and these are just my observations and suggestions and are meant as constructive C&C, I am sure others will have different views.

#1, Nice concept, As mentioned above I would suggest a closer crop and possibly more clarity and contrast to give the image more punch
        #2 these are great little characters I would look to crop this into a square format as I feel there is too much empty space at the top of the picture
        #3 great picture of the Owl, you may want to consider cropping the head tighter just to have the face and remove the body that has lost part of its tail, my reason for suggesting this is it would look as if you had decided to get just a head shot rather than a picture that could be considered as a grab shot where you clipped the tail. Not trying to be negative I have and continue to do this. If you could take the picture again would it be possible to get slightly lower so that the horizontal line just above the post was moved out of the picture?
        #4 I think this is the best picture of the set, as noted above if you clrop it slightly on the left you will get rid of the distracting light patch on the edge of the picture which I feel would be an improvement
        #5 sorry I think i see what you were trying to do but for me it needs the sapling on the left removed to make it work.

I hope I have not offended and keep posting more pictures

Comment

Hi Muscat & David

I agree with all your comments, so thanks for the C&C.
          I think it's good for me at the moment to see how more experienced photographers take their pics to the next level.
          Thanks for your advice.

DaveH

Comment

Working...
          X