Badgers and Fox Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Badgers and Fox Cubs

Another late night with the badgers last night that developed into a early morning thanks to the Fox Cubs. Their high level of activity scares the badgers.

Almost certain this is a young Dog Fox
    1639 - Fox Cub 1639040623 by Trev Bartlett MBE, on Flickr

One of two Badgers (Boar) visiting the 'set up' feeding station
    1640 - Badger - 1640040623 by Trev Bartlett MBE, on Flickr

Sow Badger
    1641 - Badger - 1641040623 by Trev Bartlett MBE, on Flickr

Cheeky!
    1642 - Fox Cub 1642040623 by Trev Bartlett MBE, on Flickr
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Wow Trev, what a fantastic set. Beautiful animals.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Such sharp shots Trev, so worth late nights/ early mornings. I am sure we would all love to know the set up you have to get the shots, lighting , hide, camera set up etc. I know I would.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
        Such sharp shots Trev, so worth late nights/ early mornings. I am sure we would all love to know the set up you have to get the shots, lighting , hide, camera set up etc. I know I would.
        Hello David, how do I take them. As you know I'm not a bit technically minded when it comes to photography. These shots are straight out the camera other than slight crops to get rid of OOF moths.
        I do not use a hide, too much bother, I sit within a Gorse thicket wearing my old DPM's from my service days. I have now added the luxury of a sack of straw to sit on!
        The site is illuminated by a 12volt car bulb hanging from a overhead branch run from a car battery, to aid focusing This can cause a few problems in that it attracts moths, which show up in most cases as OOF white blobs., hence the crops.
        The camera (R5, 100-500) is attached to a Ball & Socket fixed to the top of a fencing stake cut at eye level - a tripod is to much bother. I'm about six yards from the target.
        I use two old Sunpak 5000 flash units which I cannibalised and adapted to run off the car battery, one however is not recharging quick enough, I'm working on that. They are connected by two Canon off camera Flash Extension cables the ones that are coiled. I cut the ends off and fitted my own length of cable with the Sunpak connector one end - three yards to each. They are taped to a tree and fencing stake either side of me.
        I bait the sites with scrunched up dog biscuits - cheaper than Peanuts.
        The camera settings are 250 - f8, ISO 3200, Exposure Com -2/3. The camera does struggle a bit to focus to start with but soon settles down.
        This may not be the ideal set up for some of the more technically minded on here but it does for me.
        The four pictures were taken between 2100 hours when I get in position and 0130 hours when I started falling asleep! - Any questions
        Last edited by Trev B; 05-06-2023, 08:36.
        Trev

Flickr:

Comment

An excellent set.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

You technicians normally make it sound so difficult, but for once I fully understand the set up. Just one question, do the lights remain permanently on or are they motion sensitive? ( maybe two questions) If permanently on how long did it take the animals to accept them? The Pine Martins accepted that the light came on when they arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
              You technicians normally make it sound so difficult, but for once I fully understand the set up. Just one question, do the lights remain permanently on or are they motion sensitive? ( maybe two questions) If permanently on how long did it take the animals to accept them? The Pine Martins accepted that the light came on when they arrived.
              Hi David. The light is only on when I’m there, for no other reason to allow me to focus, which in view of the low wattage is a problem at times. For reasons I don’t understand regarding the R5, it hunts for focus when I first start but once it locks on everything is fine, but it’s not instant focus, takes a second or so. The badgers take no notice whatsoever of the light, they are used to it, I have a light up at the main sett. The Fox Cubs do keep looking up at the light, they are not to sure of it. The vixen takes no notice whatsoever of it.
              If you are thinking of setting a light up for your Pine Martins which I believe you photograph in the garden, I would consider using the mains with a very low wattage lamp and leave it on with plenty of food below it to encourage them and eliminate fear. One tip if you do put a light out make sure you have the bulb shielded so you can’t see the glare of the bulb and loose your night vision. Also if you use flash try and keep it ‘off camera’ to avoid red eye. Hope this helps.
              Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Nice shots, Trev.
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/47382834@N07/

Chris

Comment

Beautiful photos Trev, I like the Fox Cub.
                  Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Thanks everyone for looking and your kind comments
                    Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Working...
                    X