Red Fox - using R3 + PocketWizards to trigger camera remotely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Fox - using R3 + PocketWizards to trigger camera remotely

I have been photographing a red fox over the past few weeks in a local cemetery, using a tripod mounted R3 + 600mm F4 lens and was very pleased with the images I made and how well the Animal + eye detect worked.

fox walking.jpg

LCEApr2024-5.jpg

Yesterday with the aim of making different type of image, I tested out mounting the R3 + RF24-70 on a ballhead and aluminium plate. The camera was fired remotely using PW Plus3s.

I tested the idea at home with one of our cats.

The R3 was set to whole area AF + animal + eye detect using 30fps and firing a continuous burst of 3 shots.

The AF worked excellently - in every image the cat's eye was sharply in focus as it moved towards the camera.

In the evening I visited the fox and took the above set up to see how well it worked in the field. I took ~550 images over 30 minutes.

The camera + ballhead and plate was set on the ground about 1.5m from a plinth where the headstone had been removed.

I used the rear LCD to check the view and adjust the ballhead and zoomed the lens to give a wide angle of view.

The fox was attracted to the plinth using a few peanuts soaked in chicken stock and I stood well away and fired the camera with a 2nd PW Plus 3.

Here's an example of the images I made.

fox remote-2.jpg

When I reviewed all of the 550 images, the ones with the fox present - approximately 520, the Animal + eye detect had ensured that the fox was in focus.

The image shows well the fox's habitat in this cemetery.

Question or comments welcomed.

Cheers, John

Thanks for sharing, John. The first two images are obviously exceptional quality, but it is also fascinating to hear about your remote set up, which also gives a great result.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I admire you, for sitting through 550 images on the computer, I would have given up after six.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Many thanks Alex - I wanted something different and will continue to try out different angles and wide etc - I had the PocketWizards and they work very well, though any wireless remote or even a wired remote with a long cable would work just as well. It was a proof of concept test and I intend to refine it as long the fox co-operates.

Hi Trevor - I use a programme to sift rapidly through the images before loading the best ones into LR. The vast majority are deleted as they didn't show the fox posing in the position I was hoping for. It took me approx 20 minutes to pull out the best 10 where the fox was looking at the camera, its ears facing forward and all of its tail showing.

Since switching to mirrorless and using 30fps most of the time I have become more adept at being able to see a good image compared to a not quite image.

I used to import all the images taken directly into LR and then use the F key to show a full view of each image as I tab through - each reject is labelled X and then al the Xs deleted in one operation.
        Last edited by mistral105; 06-05-2024, 14:41.

Comment

Good results John, the portrait shot look excellent.
          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Very well done John. It's very often the case that if you put in the effort you get the results and it is certainly true in this case. I love the backlit portrait, it shows of the fur beautifully.
            Colin

Comment

Thanks Bill - I appreciate your comments.

Hello Colin - not seen you for a while. I agree fully with your comment about putting in the effort. Before Covid I had been to Svalbard for Polar Bears, Alaska for Grizzlies and Yellowstone for the winter wildlife. The last 2 weeks have given me a greater feeling of personal satisfaction than those trips, as the fox has gained my trust and is providing wonderful opportunities to take images that no-one else will have.

The backlit portrait was taken when the fox was at MFD ~ 4.5m on the 600 f4 - at times he comes within touching distance. I was lucky with the wonderful golden light.

Look forward to seeing you soon in Southampton when we pick up our R1s!
              Last edited by mistral105; 06-05-2024, 19:09.

Comment

Originally posted by mistral105 View Post

Look forward to seeing you soon in Southampton when we pick up our R1s!
                He, he. I have had a deposit on one for quite a while now, even though it isn't announced yet. It has been suggested that I might see it early December, which works for me as I have a trip to Antarctica late December. Earlier would be nice.

Colin

Comment

That makes 2 of us - I think we are at the front of the queue.

Comment

Great shots, the back lit portrait is stunning.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Many thanks for the kind comments. I moved near to Bosham just before the first Covid lockdown and have enjoyed your images of Bosham and surrounding areas - keep them coming.

Comment

Originally posted by mistral105 View Post
                        Many thanks for the kind comments. I moved near to Bosham just before the first Covid lockdown and have enjoyed your images of Bosham and surrounding areas - keep them coming.
                        Welcome to Sussex John.

I think it's safe to say there will be more local stuff to come...
                        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Lovely photos John, well done.
                          Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Working...
                          X