Asiatic Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asiatic Lions

At Bristol Zoo....this is mum and her two cubs. Shot thru glass in the rain, so rather pleased with the result considering using the 55-250 , f5.6 @ 1/25th sec hand held!

Asiatic lions by mathews38, on Flickr

Re: Asiatic Lions

thats a very good result despite the shooting conditions

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Great shot in the conditions, so don't be put off what I'm about to say as i do like what you managed to capture.

I can't help feeling a missed importunity,if it was possible to move to the right and shoot in portrait format and have all three faces looking towards you would have made it something special.
      Though i know in reality this is not always possible,
      I just look at this shot and think god there's an even better shot in there some were !

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
        Great shot in the conditions, so don't be put off what I'm about to say as i do like what you managed to capture.

I can't help feeling a missed importunity,if it was possible to move to the right and shoot in portrait format and have all three faces looking towards you would have made it something special.
        Though i know in reality this is not always possible,
        I just look at this shot and think god there's an even better shot in there some were !

Paul
        Youre probably right Paul, but I had to have the lens flush with the glass to stop any reflections and this affected where I stood. I did rattle a load off (one of mum licking the cub) but any movement was not good at such a slow shutter speed

Comment

What made you choose the 55-250mm lens for this shot in preference to your other L lenses?
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

That is a decent image under the conditions.
            Well done.
            (make note to visit Bristol Zoo)

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
              What made you choose the 55-250mm lens for this shot in preference to your other L lenses?
              Interesting question Nat. The reason I only took this and the nifty fifty was cos I wanted to travel light and I had seen so many good images by other folk using the 55-250, and its a lens I rarely use so thought it would be an interesting challenge. I also wanted to do some street photography in bristol and the 55-25 is ideal. Im surprised how well it performed

Comment

And heres the male.....

Male Lion by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/haywardsheath/]

Comment

hhcanon! Thanks for your reply. Lovely shot of the male lion.I only wondered as I have a 70-200 L f4 lens which I bought after I sold my 55- 250mm lens and am wondering whether I should again buy a newer 55-250mm lens just for the reason you have mentioned. Weight is always a issue for me due to health reasons. I only don't wish to "collect" lenses for the sake of it.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I love this male lion shot.
                    The more I look at it the more I like it, yes I really like this.
                    Well done Matt

Comment

Thanx stephen..the names Robin actually, but go under hhcanon here. Ive started to use Flickr again after a few years cos I think the upload quality is better than photobucket. The Mathews bit is a leftover from when i set up the Flickr account all those years ago, and never changed..confused?

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                        Thanx stephen..the names Robin actually, but go under hhcanon here. Ive started to use Flickr again after a few years cos I think the upload quality is better than photobucket. The Mathews bit is a leftover from when i set up the Flickr account all those years ago, and never changed..confused?
                        Sorry Robin, so it's Robin Mathews or is there another story behind the name "Mathews" ? ... my apologise but the male lion is getting even better now that I've looked yet again.

Comment

Male lion shot is awesome
                          regards
                          Donald

Comment

I always like cat shots and these big cats are splendid. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great shot of the male lion.

Paul
                              EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                              Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Working...
                              X