Puffin Take Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffin Take Off

My first visit of the year to RSPB Fowlsheugh.
    I met quite a few visitors who claimed to have seen 2 Puffins.
    I was lucky enough to spot 8

7D, EF300 f4 + 1.4 ext, ISO 500, 1/800 @ f5.6

Puffin 3 by mike.stephen99, on Flickr
    Last edited by SamFisher; 10-04-2012, 03:48.
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Re: Puffin Take Off

Wow, that first visit is a memorable one ;)
    Allthough I feel the focus is on the bacjground in stead of the bird, I love the moment! That makes it a nice picture for me.
    Well done,
    Rutger
    Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
    EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

Well spotted Mike and well captured , a once in a lifetime shot.

Comment

Base jumper push off!
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Well taken
          Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Mike, A very capture. However, the old problem seems to persist- the image is still a bit soft. See the eyes for starters! & the beak! Check with your computer image.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Rubbish!

Seriously - good capture, very well timed, and I know there's an element of luck, but catching the wings up is a great pose!

Mike
              flickr
              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                Rubbish!

Seriously - good capture, very well timed, and I know there's an element of luck, but catching the wings up is a great pose!

Mike
                It could be my monitor, which gives a bit of softness. However, if the image looks fine with other members then thats it.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                  It could be my monitor, which gives a bit of softness. However, if the image looks fine with other members then thats it.
                  Nat - my earlier 'rubbish' remark wasn't aimed at your 'soft' comment - I was just trying to be funny as it was quite a remarkable shot! I think the Puffin looking soft is due to the movement in the bird, as the background rock he's launching off is in focus. Sorry if you took my remark as a criticism of your comments.

All the best, Mike.
                  flickr
                  5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                    Nat - my earlier 'rubbish' remark wasn't aimed at your 'soft' comment - I was just trying to be funny as it was quite a remarkable shot! I think the Puffin looking soft is due to the movement in the bird, as the background rock he's launching off is in focus. Sorry if you took my remark as a criticism of your comments.

All the best, Mike.
                    HI! Mike. I did not misunderstand your remark. So cheer up. I have seen the "other Mike"'s bird pics and they have all been pin sharp- from beak,eyes etc but this Puffin take off, on my monitor atleast,appears to be soft. By the same token if other members see the image pin sharp, then I'd put it down to my monitor and nothing else.

Regards
                    Nat

Comment

The image appears soft because of the 1/800 element - not quick enough to freeze the bird, even one that for a puffin is relatively stationary. So this is nothing more or less than motion blur. Years of frustration trying to photograph these birds in flight has told me that 1/2000 is a minimum - but of course given the light where Mike was photographing the bird that would have meant upping the ISO and possibly also gaining an extra stop by removing the TC! Lovely capture though - just one of those 'my God that's close but not quite shots' - if it was easy everyone would be doing it!!

Comment

Thanks MWphoto. I am relieved that my monitor is not at fault and I also now understand the motion blur you have mentioned. I also note your advice re 1/2000 as a minimum- entered it in my photo advice notes before I visit some of the rocks/crags in North Wales, nearer to Holyhead. Numerous birds flying around there.

Comment

No worries Nat - flying birds are tricky at the best of times. Had a wee project last year where tried to get flight pictures of the birds around the feeders - noticed that the sparrow, goldfinch and chaffinch had an approach which involved a bit of hovering first, even if only briefly. Finally managed to get the shot I needed and that was taken at 1/4000 - even at 1/2500 the wings were still slightly blurred. As for flying puffins, I've got nothing sharp below 1/4000! By nearer to Holyhead do u mean around South Stack etc? Nice place (look out for the chough) I was first introduced to on a climb called Dream of White Horses and have been back a few times since (these days just with the camera - rock climbing is in the distant past). Hope it's productive for you.

Incidentally have a colleague in the States who'd been trying to photograph hummingbirds - with a DSLR it's impossible to freeze the wingbeat even at 1/8000 so he's had to use other approaches!

Cheers

Mark W

Comment

Yes, around South Stack exactly. Thanks

Nat

Comment

Working...
                            X