Arundel WWT - Saturday 9 June 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arundel WWT - Saturday 9 June 2012

Hi all - woke up this morning, weather looked lovely, so off I went to Arundel Wetlands centre!

All shots using my 550D, with 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, and shot settings are shown under each photo... aren't I good? I think I used 'M' for all the shots, as that's my default setting!

Loads of chicks running around, but I won't bore you with too many of those, but I just found it hard to believe just how BIG this chicks' feet were!

Moorhen chick - bigfoot by mikep_eos, on Flickr
    1/160, f8, iso 100, 116mm

There were (are) 2 Swallows nesting INSIDE the Reed Bed Hide, so I staked them out for an hour to see what happened... and managed to 'just about' catch the following shots, using 'silly settings' and a monopod! It was quite dark, you see! I used the pop up flash to freeze the action, then toned down the temperature in DPP to 5000K to bring it back to how I remembered the light being!

The male Swallow brings his lady a feather, and approaches...

Swallows feather exchange 1 by mikep_eos, on Flickr
    1/25, f5.6, iso 400, 135mm

the feather is exchanged...

Swallows feather exchange 2 by mikep_eos, on Flickr
    1/25, f5.6, iso 400, 78mm

the male, his mission accomplished, drops away from the nest...

Swallows feather exchange 3 by mikep_eos, on Flickr
    1/25, f5.6, iso 400, 78mm. It's just like on Springwatch, isn't it?

Moving on... just outside the hide, this Reed Warbler (? someone will point out if I'm wrong!), was singing his heart out! Luckily he gave me enough time to put the 1.4 extender on!

Reed Warbler singng by mikep_eos, on Flickr
    1/250, f8, iso 500, 420mm - big crop!

And lastly, a shot of a female Mallard that had just taken off... posted because I'm quite pleased to have got her so sharp!

Mallard female just taken off by mikep_eos, on Flickr
    1/500, f8, iso 200, 100mm

As ever, C&C welcome.

Hope you like them! All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: Arundel WWT - Saturday 9 June 2012

looks like you had a good day Mike.
    unfortunately some of us had to work
    the reed warbler is a cracker
    Alan
    Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Great set of photos, well done. There doesn't look a lot of room inside that nest!
      Colin

Colin Wallace Photography

Canon 5D MKIII / 24-105L F4 USM IS / 70-300L F4 USM IS

Comment

Thanks Ian and Colin!

@Alan - Strangely the Reed Warbler stayed in view for a few minutes, near the top of the reeds. Usually you only hear them, so I was quite lucky to get quite a few good shots of him!
        @Colin - I think they're still building it, so I think it will get a bit bigger. Certainly wasn't room for both the parents, so the male had to sit on the next post over!

Thanks for looking and your comments. Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Very nice set Mike especially the reed warbler which i think is lovely.
          Cheers
          Treff

Comment

Superb sir! wow - talk about growing into your feet. . . . that Moorhen is going to be huge. warbler is stunning but the mallard in flight is my favourite (just a little dark)

.DAVID.
            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Great set Mike - the Warbler is a belter mate, well done you!

Comment

Hi Treff, David and Rob!

@Treff - might post a couple more of the Reed Warbler soon... still sorting them all out!
                @David - lol, his feet were HUGE, I mean seriously, I never knew they were that big! I'll look at lightening the Mallard and re-posting.. watch this space.
                @Rob - lucky that he climbed as far up the reeds and then stayed around long enough for me to get him!

Cheers guys, appreciate your comments. Mike.
                flickr

Comment

This is probably about the brest time of year for Arundel and I think you have made the most of it - swallows in particular not the easiest to get at any time. Nice clear shot of the warbler too

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan.

I was very pleased with the results from day, especially as the last couple of trips out for birds have been very poor! I might try and get down to Arundel again soon, 'cos as you say, there's just so much going on there at the moment!

I'll post any others I think worthy from the day in a few days time, but in the meantime, thanks for your comments.

All the best, Mike.
                    flickr

Comment

Cracking images Mike, some of your best work.
                      That new(ish) lens is really working well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
                        Cracking images Mike, some of your best work.
                        Thanks for your kind words Stephen!
                        TBH - It's been a bit hit and miss lately, with my last 2 trips out for 'wildlife' prior to this weekend being complete wastes of time, but my recent trip to London was quite good! That's how it goes I guess!

Really enjoying the 70-300 L, and it means I can travel light, with camera/lens on the sling and the Kenko 1.4 in my pocket!

All the best, Mike.
                        flickr

Comment

Hi again.

Here's a few more from Arundel last weekend, and a re-work of the Mallard that came out a little dark! Hope you enjoy them...

A brighter Mallard! 1/500, f8, 100mm, iso200

Mallard female in flight by mikep_eos, on Flickr

A scraggy looking Moorhen chick! 1/160, f8, 299mm, iso640

Moorhen chick by mikep_eos, on Flickr

These Mallard chicks were sunning themselves, whilst waiting to be trodden on! 1/160, f8, 420mm (70-300 + 1.4), iso100

Mallard ducklings sunning themselves by mikep_eos, on Flickr

And finally, a couple more of the Reed Warbler... 1/250, f8, 364mm, iso400

Reed Warbler 1 by mikep_eos, on Flickr

1/160, f8, 420mm, iso320

Reed Warbler 5 by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Comments welcome.

All the best, Mike.
                          flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X