(i) Coots- bit of hanky panky

(ii) Sleeping Mute Swans
    [
    (iii) Egret
    [
    (iv)Mute Swan

(v) Oyster Catchers in flight

(vi) Heron
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 26-06-2012, 19:16.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Another try with Birds before Puffin Island trip

I like the Heron and Mute Swan pics, the others seem to have a lot of dead space around that you could crop out to improve the composition.

The Egret shot would be better if the leaves and twigs behind the beak weren't there, do you have any others where the head has moved? I like the reflection in that shot so with a bit of cleaning you could have something there.

Comment

Thanks Macgb. Yes, I have other pics of the Egret and I take your point. The dead spaces too can be cropped out which I will do so shortly.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Getting better and better Nathaniel.

The swan exposure is perfect. Think of reflections with water - a little repositioning and change to portrait format would have made that shot a lot more interesting. I tend to grab a shot instinctively and once it is in the bag, I give some thought to improving it. Perhaps a different angle, portrait format, or even coming back later.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Macgb, I have cropped the coots and the flying birds as suggested and posted here. I have posted another Egret photo in place of the previous one which had objects by the face. Trust these are better.Colin,thanks for your C&C

(i) Coots

(ii) Oyster catchers in flight.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 26-06-2012, 20:40.

Comment

Love this set Nat, shame that the half the egret relection is missing but it's a great image all the same.
            Well done.

Comment

Thanks Stephen. I am getting the hang of this lens. Yes, I must check my other pics to see whether I have the full reflection for the Egret.

Comment

Technically, this are fine Nathaniel, but as mentioned, a bit more thought about composition, particularly cropping, a subject rarely looks it's best dead centre in the frame, although when shooting it's often best to keep the subject central for exposure/focus reasons and crop later during processing.

I like where you are going, so keep on the treadmill
                Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Getting batter Nat! Composition is the next thing - there are of course no strict rules, but I find the rule of thirds also works beautifully for birds - simplistically a bird looks best in a frame when it has some space to move into! Also think about portrait mode for reflections and move your focus point (tho as mentioned in my msg I don't know whether the spot metering follows the AF point on the 60D)

Comment

Thanks Les,Mike. I am doing my best with all the advice I am getting. Yes,composition is next and also to think about portrait format after getting one or two shots in the "bag".

Comment

Working...
                    X