One Good Tern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Good Tern

Apart from the action, I quite liked the high key effect of this one.

1D MKIV + 500mm f4 L IS

1/1,600sec f4.5 ISO400

Exposure Mode: Manual
    White Balance: Auto
    Scene Capture: Standard

Colin
    Last edited by colin C; 28-06-2012, 23:12. Reason: Tech Info added.
    Colin

Re: One Good Tern

Very Nice Colin. although you don't post picture often, but when you do its always a cracker and quality

Raj
    Raj
    Flickr

Comment

Simply beautful !!
      Just a shame there wasn't more seperation between the bottom two birds but thats a (very) minor niggle

Mike
      www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Excellent Colin.

I was hard pressed to spot one on Monday let alone three together and in the same plane of focus

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Nice one Colin

Comment

Like an aerial ballet, gorgeous
            Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Originally posted by SamFisher View Post
              Simply beautful !!
              Just a shame there wasn't more seperation between the bottom two birds but thats a (very) minor niggle

Mike
              He, he. A minor niggle easily solved, as I have other shots with separation, but viewed together, this version has the edge.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Superb shot as a usual Colin. Makes me look a real "charlie" with my bird pics. Thanks for sharing.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

for some reason I cannot see the image?

Comment

Amazing! I am almost lost for words.

Ian
                    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Absolutely fabulous!
                      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                        Superb shot as a usual Colin. Makes me look a real "charlie" with my bird pics. Thanks for sharing.
                        Be patient Nathaniel. You have acheived a great deal in a short time and I suspect that your new lens, coupled with some reasonable weather will bring even better results.

If you've been shooting wildlife as long as I have, you tend to get the odd lucky shot and the more you are out there trying, the better the odds. In fairness, this sequence kicked off for about 3 seconds and I just reacted with whatever lens was on the camera and whatever settings I was currently using. Of all the Sandwich Terns on the island, I only noticed one pair of Common Terns, so it was a bit of a surprise when three of them took off fighting. Even then, the thumbnails weren't that special and I recall I was disappointed that the sky had burnt out. It was only during the RAW conversion, seeing it larger on the screen that the possibilities were starting to emerge.

I had many good shots of Sandwich Terns returning with Sand Eels in their beak and equally good shots of red squirrels, that this was very nearly overlooked and could have been subject to the delete button.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Nat - with wildlife be prepared to exercise the delete button - by its very nature photographing wildlife means you will end up taking a load of rubbish as we all do, but in amongst that you'll find some crackers. Just be thankful you don't have to pay for film nowadays!

Comment

If I remember correctly, it's not just the expense of the film, it's the 2 week wait to be disappointed.
                            Colin

Comment

Sorry to steal your thread colin, but thought I'd say I am encouraged both by yours and Mike's comments. I have taken loads of blank skies and tail tips of birds in my foray into bird photography. Will be patient and keep on trying.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X