Puffin Island cruise 1st July 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Puffin Island cruise 1st July 2012

Try a faster shutter speed with IS off (1/300 if the birds are sat on a rock, 1/600 or faster if in flight), also try a few with IS on for the comparison (it's just a flick of a switch).
    Try the lens with and without the tc, that extra stop (without the tc) might help if it's not a sunny day.
    Take a packet of "sealegs" with you.

I'm definately looking forward to your next set, I just wish I could come too.

Comment

H! Stephen,

Thanks for the Advice. Will fall in line. I am definitely going again, when I am not too busy. You are very welcome. I believe these RSPB trips finish next month. Contact :-Mair.Jeffreys@rspb.org.uk
      I am hoping to visit Slimbridge on Sat 21st July for a bit of land based pics with the 300mm lens, before my next boat trip.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
        I am hoping to visit Slimbridge on Sat 21st July for a bit of land based pics with the 300mm lens, before my next boat trip.
        Maybe I'll turn up there, not too far from here.

Comment

Personally I would use an even faster shutter speed 1/1000th or even 1/2000th. The longer the lens the more the movement of the boat is going to be exaggerated. I’m not an expert on bird photography though (haven’t got the patience.)

Comment

I agree with foursome, keep the shutter speed up.

One of the benefits of posting the tech infowith each photo is that you can see the settings, so be guided by that. Generally, my shutter speed of choice is 1/1,600sec. for birds in flight. I do have to compromise often, such are the vagaries of our weather, but I can go down to 1/800 for slow flying birds with large wings, up to 1/3,200 for bluetits and 1/8,000 for humming birds. This assumes they are flying, you can bring them all down a notch or two when they are stationary.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Sorry. I should have checked Nathaniel’s EXIF data. Your shutter speed seems to be well up.

Comment

Thanks foursome/Colin. Point taken. Should the ISO generally be 400,800 or 1600?
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                  Should the ISO generally be 400,800 or 1600?
                  Depends upon the camera, the light, and your needs.

So try and keep as low as possible for the conditions. You should be able to use 400 (or lower) ... if the light is getting very bad then it may be time to give up

Comment

You’ll probably find the light is different every time you visit so I would say use the lowest ISO you can get away with. You also need to be careful with your exposure. You often get a lot of light coming off water causing the camera to under expose. You may need +2 compensation if taking birds on the water but then if you switch to taking pictures of birds against dark cliffs you might need -1 or -2. You might find using the camera on manual is easier.
                    One question I would like to ask. If you use a monopod on a boat does the vibration from the engine work its way through to the camera?

Comment

Foursome, thanks for your comments. Re the Monopod, I did not use one and the more experienced forum member I went with had a monopod, but did not use it. Therefore the simple answer is that I don't know. The problem was the rocking boat and not the engine vibration.

Yes, I did use a high shutter speed.

Comment

I was asking about the monopod as a matter of interest. I should think that using one a rocking boat would make life even more difficult.

Comment

Sorry if I misunderstood you. I think a monopod is a very convenient form of support and quite light to carry around. I have also seen some bird watchers using one regularly in the sites I have visited and it also doubled as a "walking stick" for some!!!!!!!!

Comment

No apology necessary. I should have made myself clearer to start with.

Comment

Working...
                            X