Barn Owl in the rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barn Owl in the rain

It wasn't much of a day and I was pretty wet through, but sometimes patience brings it's own reward. You rarely see Barn Owls in the rain ........... primarily because their feathers are like blotting paper.

Canon 1D MKIV + 500mm f4 L IS
    Shutter: 1/1,250 sec
    Aperture: f5
    Metering: Manual
    ISO: 800
    White Balance: Auto
    Scene Capture: Standard
    IS: Off

Colin
    Colin

Re: Barn Owl in the rain

I think your sensor needs a good clean Colin

Seriously, this is a great capture.
    I've never seen a Barn Owl in the wild

Mike
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Lovely, rain often (but not always) brings some gorgeous light, the light here is nice and luminous, and the rain provides a fitting backdrop to the graceful owl.

Good work (as usual)
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Stunning image Colin,when metering is in manual does this mean manual focus.
        sorry for sounding dim
        Alan
        Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Nice one Colin

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Campbell View Post
            Stunning image Colin,when metering is in manual does this mean manual focus.
            sorry for sounding dim
            Alan
            There are no dim questions on this site, only opportunities to expand our knowledge. Hmmm ............... like that, might even use that phrase again!

As this shot stands, I didn't need to meter in manual. The green background and the Owl together wouldn't have "Fooled" the meter and I would have got the same shot using Tv 1/1,250sec. But, birds in flight are able to operate in a 3 dimensional environment and also pay no regard to a photographers needs. One minute they can by flying against a neutral background in the light, the next up in the sky against the light. An automatic exposure mode wouldn't cope with both of those extremes, without some further intervention from me.

Therfore, I meter for an average scene and enter those settings in Manual mode. I could have metered off a Greyscale, Skintones, or Grass and on this occasion I chose grass. I know that if the bird were sat on the grass, the bird would expose perfectly, so without changing any settings, if it flew against a bright sky, I still have settings dialled in to expose the bird correctly, even though the sky may be well and truly burn't out. But hey, I am taking photo's of birds, not skies. I really don't care what happens to the sky.

There is a flaw using this method. Although it will always expose for the bird properly, regardless of the background, or light direction, it only does so in the light level that you originally measured and set in your camera. As soon as the light changes, all bets are off. You have to be attuned to the light, recognise that it has changed, remeasure and reset. With practice and a little experience, you soon not only recognise an difference in light, but just "know" how many stops difference it is and just dial it in on the move.

To answer the second part of your question, manual exposure and manual focusiing are not linked, so you can always choose one without the other. Autofocus is so good, that I rarely use manual focus at all, generally only for macro work. For this shot I was on full auto, with the central dot aimed smack at the Owl's eye. From memory, I was slightly off, but one of the auxiliary tracking points kept it sharp on the body. From preference, I like the body pin sharp and a little blur in the wings. Just enough to imply some dynamic movement and to indicate that it was a genuine shot and not a Photoshop construct. Not that I am against Photoshop in any way, far from it, it's just that I strive to get it right in the camera and a bit of wing blur is often enough to show that I did.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Colin,
              thanks for having the time to explain this.
              Please correct me if i am wrong.

On reading your reply i take it you start off with your camera in tv and point to a grassy area,half press the shutter and take note of the aperature reading then switch to manual mode and put these readings in and let the autofocus do the rest.
              I have never used manual mode,but have used manual focus,maybe i should try the other way around.

Wildlife photography is new to me and is somthing i am enjoying and very keen to learn with help from people like yourself on this forum
              One day i hope to get results like yours and other members.
              Many thanks
              Alan
              Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Simply stunning. Love the framing and the glint of the rain drops. I have been very unsuccessful at BIF, maybe after your explanation I shall do better.

Comment

Excellent one Colin, as usual. You will have me looking for Barn Owls next + Puffins!!
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Another great owl shot Colin

Comment

Nicely done Colin.

Tom

Comment

Great explenation Colin
                        Very intuitive

Mike
                        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

On reading your reply i take it you start off with your camera in tv and point to a grassy area,half press the shutter and take note of the aperature reading then switch to manual mode and put these readings in and let the autofocus do the rest.
                          Yes Alan .................. it's as easy as that.

I use a slight refinement of that: because I use Back Button Focus, I can completely blur the image, then use the shutter button to take the exposure reading. The marginal benefit of that is if there is a strong highlight or shadow within the more sensitive metering areas of the shot, a blured version will have less influence.

As I mentioned marginal, but a number of marginal improvements can make quite a difference when added together.

Colin
                          Colin

Comment

A guy really could go off you, you know - bravo sir

.DAVID.
                            Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Colin, all your postings are an encouragement to "Charlies" like me to emulate! Not a bad thing. Also, it does give me ideas for expanding,increasing my scope. Long may you continue to post your images.

Nathaniel
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X