What's the best background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best background

We have a 'tame' lady blackbird in the garden quite often.

I'm wondering what background works best (when you have an option)?

1. Light

2. Dark

7D 70-200L f2.8 Mark II (@200) -- ISO-200 f/5.6 1/400

What do you think works as a background?

Thanks.

Re: What's the best background

I like the lighter background in the two samples, A nice background blur which does not distract from the subject.
    I'd change that fencing though

Comment

I agree with Stephen, regarding the bg.

The fence just needs some freshening up though
      Bob Turner
      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

No 1 looks great, I think there's a bit too much going on in the 2nd shot and the background detracts from the subject.
        Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
        http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
        https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Agree with previous comments, prefer the less busy background -don't be too hard on your fence - the blackbird obviously likes it!

Comment

Bird pics work best with a real blurred background, so I shoot the vast majority of my stuff wide open (and of course this pushes the shutter speed up). With that lens crack it open to f2.8 and see what a difference it makes - will make the bird 'pop' out of the background. Final point, always make sure the eye is in focus - if the eye is sharp the rest will take care of itself! Good stuff though and keep them coming

Comment

MX5, I like the first pic, which is very nice and there is no clutter. Glad to note your interest in bird photography. So next Puffin trip eh?
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks everyone.

That fence ... two panels arriving today (honest) - should have cropped out (Nothing to do with your observations - they have suffred in the recent gales).

I have tried using f/2.8 but the DoF is so shallow (at 10' away ... it's about an 1") I wasn't getting the whole bird in focus. I guess it's down to technique and keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                  Thanks everyone.

That fence ... two panels arriving today (honest) - should have cropped out (Nothing to do with your observations - they have suffred in the recent gales).

I have tried using f/2.8 but the DoF is so shallow (at 10' away ... it's about an 1") I wasn't getting the whole bird in focus. I guess it's down to technique and keep trying.
                  That's not normally a problem - certainly with that lens wouldn't go any smaller than f4. As long as the eye is sharp the rest honestly doesn't matter

Comment

#1 for me too as the background blur is not distracting from the subject.

Do you have a sense of Déjà vu
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

I shall have another go (when the sun is back). I just wish our sparrowhawks would stay on the fence longer after they've fed on a dove (or if very hungry a woodpigeon). Will try some at f/2.8, some with the 1.4x attached and with different backgrounds (well in so far as you can get a wild bird to sit for you!).

Comment

How about bright green?

Spotted this fella at the local wildlife park and couldn't resist a snap!

IMG_1797a by S.J.P, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 60D
                        Exposure 0.002 sec (1/500)
                        Aperture f/8.0
                        Focal Length 370 mm (Siggy 150-500mm)
                        ISO Speed 2000
                        Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
                        X