Choughed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choughed!

Saw this chough at south stack a couple of weeks ago. Constructive criticsm appreciated, I want to improve. shot on a 40d with a 70-200 f4 1/1000 @ f5.6. iso 100.

I've cropped the image but not touched it otherwise.

IMG_3100 by jefferson818@btinternet.com, on Flickr

Re: Choughed!

It looks like a cut-out piece of paper!

Different, but not really my cup of tea, sorry. I guess I just like to see a little detail in the shots rather than just silhouettes!

Thanks for posting though, I hope some on here like it.

All the best, Mike.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thanks for the comments, it would be difficult to get detail?
      Black bird against whiteish clouds. Is there a way to do that?

Comment

I've been there, done that, and with similar results.
        I'm sure with good exposure readings/settings then things will improve.

I actually like this image but for all the wrong reasons.
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

The majority of the area is the sky, so that is what the camera exposed for. This is where you, the photographer, start to take control and analyse the scene to get the exposure how you want it. Because it is a dark subject, you need to add more light to get some detail into it, so a starting point would be 2 stops. Dial in +2 exposure compensation and that would put you in the ball park. Check the histogram and it should be from the middle to the left hand side, without clipping the shadow area. If it is clipping, add some more compensation.

The trick is to grab a shot to start with, then use your experience to make it better, than check those results to tweak minor improvements. Make the histogram your best friend, understand it and use it to advantage.

Having said all of that, I rather like the starkness of the shot and there is a case for not always obeying the rules.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Hi Jeffo40d,
            I like your picture, this particular bird cuts an interesting silhouette.

Black bird against whiteish clouds. Is there a way to do that?
            I take a very common approach - if the sky is white / overcast I would avoid trying to snap black birds in flight, with the sky as the BG.

On the other hand, that nice diffused light is often ideal for perched birds with greenery BGs
            No harsh bright light to blow out details on feathers, beaks, and talons.

Another way to go about it is to expose for the bird and have a blown out BG, or get the "least worst fit" and attempt to hack about with it in photoshop or similar programs.
            Whilst that will get you some kind of usable record shot, that's better than no shot at all - it will lack a va va voom of a shot in ideal conditions.

Trev

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.
              One look through the forum let's me know I've got a lot to learn !!

Comment

Not my cup of tea Jeff.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I quite like this. It reminds me of Edger Allan Poe's The Raven. Also add a few words on the side & this would also make a great posters.

Tom

Comment

I think a silhouette with a colourful sunset background would have improved the image
                    regards
                    Donald

Comment

Sorry Donald,
                      South Stack, NorthWales, the summer we have had in UK. Sunset background, dream on.

Comment

I agree with Donald. It is a pity that there was no colour when this photo was taken. S.Africa any day for lovely colourful photos.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                        X