Bullfinch in a bush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullfinch in a bush

Another image taken at RHS Harlow Carr Harrogate. Same hide, same photographer, I'm getting comfortable with this birdy genre. Still a long way to go though

Once again your C&C would be much appreciated.

Exif

Camera Model: Canon EOS 50D, Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x, Image Date: 2012-03-24 14:41:27 +0000
    Focal Length: 265mm, Aperture: f/4.5, Exposure Time: 0.025 s (1/40), ISO equiv: 100.
    Copyright: Mr P Stockton
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.2 (Windows)
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Bullfinch in a bush

Lovely shot, but not quite sharp enough. Your shutter speed was 1/40sec and you were using an effctive focal length of 265mm, so ignoring IS for the moment, you would use 1/250sec minimum to stop camera shake. As Finches are twitchy little devils, a much higher shutter speed is in order to guarantee a sharp picture, probably 1/500sec or 1/1,000 sec.

In that poor light you are always going to struggle to get ideal settings. I would probably have ditched to 1.4x and sacrificed a smaller image and then opened up the ISO to around ISO 800.

Hope that helps.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Beautiful colors and composition, would have to agree with Colin on his assessment.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        Lovely shot, but not quite sharp enough. Your shutter speed was 1/40sec and you were using an effctive focal length of 265mm, so ignoring IS for the moment, you would use 1/250sec minimum to stop camera shake. As Finches are twitchy little devils, a much higher shutter speed is in order to guarantee a sharp picture, probably 1/500sec or 1/1,000 sec.

In that poor light you are always going to struggle to get ideal settings. I would probably have ditched to 1.4x and sacrificed a smaller image and then opened up the ISO to around ISO 800.

Hope that helps.

Colin
        It does help me Colin I don't often get the chance to photograph birds of any size so your tips are very welcome. Looking at the exif it seems I was using manual on the 50D
        Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
          Beautiful colors and composition, would have to agree with Colin on his assessment.

Tom
          Thanks for commenting Tom, much appreciated.
          Last edited by ST-EOS; 26-10-2012, 17:20. Reason: fat fingers
          Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
            I must also agree with Colin & Tom but this can be sharpened in pp to give a better result.
            A great image
            Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
            Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Working...
            X